Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

Anybody use the Surface 3 much? I need a pair of ~10" tablets... they don't have to do much - the M-5Y71 (1.2GHz) CPU + 4gb in my Venue Pro seems to be plenty. 64gb of storage is excessive. I don't want a Pro anything because the extra size is a liability. I am concerned about the slow-ass Atom x7-Z8700 and how it behaves in real life.

My IT guy has a Surface 3 for basic IT support. I think it's probably OK for stuff like that.

My buddy with a Surface 3 wishes that he'd sprung for the Pro model, but I don't know if he was trying to keep 30 open browser windows or what.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Pro 2, which can be found under $300 in refurbished form.

Hmm... I hadn't considered a Pro 2, but that's a good call. Are you running Windows 10 on it?

The thing I need to do is a singular .NET based UI for a SQL database. Being .NET it's a little bloated, but it's hardly intensive. It runs a little slow on a Core2Duo E7500 and beyond perfectly on that Core M-5Y71, so somewhere in the middle is fine. Since the application is essentially handheld, going to a more powerful Surface but with a 13" screen would be a problem.

The SP2 is around $250 it seems, a 4gb/128gb S3 is about $350, so not a huge price spread... but it does mean trading a 4th gen Core i5 for an Atom, which kinda sucks. Neither is like really expensive - I guess I could flip a coin and if it doesn't work out get the other. I was hoping Dell still had Venue Pro 10s in the Outlet, but no such luck. I've been testing with mine and it's about a perfect intersection of features.

Yes, Win10 runs fine. I did the free upgrade to Win10 as soon as I got it. I've been pretty satisfied with the performance, but I'm mostly web browsing with it. I had my factory charger die fairly quickly, which was apparently a shitty design since they changed it for the SP3. The aftermarket one I bought on Amazon is trucking along fine.

I wouldn't mind the thinner profile, lighter weight, and bigger screen of the SP3, but the $250 price was right for my refurb 256GB SP2.

Word... how is battery life? Sounds like your use isn't ultimately much different from my intended use.

Administrator
    Man, for that price, it sounds like it is heavier but significantly better than my Nexus 9.

Battery life seems generally good, but I only use it at home, so I'd put more faith in comparison tests than my experiences if you're using it on-the-go.

Every once in a while it fails to go in to sleep mode when I tell it to, then when I use it again several hours later after not being on the charger, the battery is almost dead. I don't know if that's a Surface/SP2/Win10 thing or what. If I do a full shutdown, that works every time. Other annoyances: Sometimes the keyboard doesn't register after I open it up, but disconnecting and reconnecting always fixes it. After waking up from sleep mode, occasionally the volume buttons don't work. The on-screen volume control works, and eventually it seems to sort itself out to where the buttons work again.

I think any non-4 I end up with is going to be a refurb, and I'm kinda hesitant on expecting as-new battery like from a multi-year-old refurbished item.

It only needs maybe 3-4 hours of battery, but it's always hard to extrapolate as-tested life to as-used life. A shocking number of variables here for such a simple task!

My SP3, after a massive hard reset which somehow ended up as a battery refresh, still gives me around 3.5 hours.