Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

Ironically, i ran into auto rotate issues today... but a few restarts cleared it

Heh. There are still some bugs even in my SP3, but most can be cleared by just shutting it down and restarting. My main complaint is that the wireless adapter could be better, and that Chrome doesn't work very well with Windows touchscreens, but I can't do much about both and expect that the second issue will never be fixed as Google has no interest in doing so. I suppose I COULD switch to Edge now that I'm using a Windows Phone, but really...

My Dad's been having repeated trouble with the wireless adapter in his SP3...or more specifically the fact that Win10 updates appear to break it. Something funky going on.
    Whoomah!

That's the same problem that I've had a few times. It's usually resolved automatically by running Windows troubleshooter, but that's not very convenient if you need the wifi to work urgently.

Re: Chrome v Edge... I got annoyed a few times with Chrome being not entirely touch friendly, but Edge is not an option due to not having plugins/extensions. Wonder what Firefox is like... hmm

I'm more concerned about having to re-enter all my passwords into Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Re: Chrome v Edge... I got annoyed a few times with Chrome being not entirely touch friendly, but Edge is not an option due to not having plugins/extensions. Wonder what Firefox is like... hmm
    You don't have to run Edge. IE still exists in Win10. I use it periodically as, inexplicably Google Maps doesn't respond properly to touch in Edge. Works great in IE.

I avoid IE at all costs, unless it's required by work.

I saw a refurbished Surface Pro 2 with an i5 processor, 8GB of RAMand a 512 SSD for $400 shipped on the daily deals site meh.com (like the old pre Amazon buyout Woot) and ordered one, figuring that was a price worthy of trying it out. The next day, I got an email canceling my order, saying that they were actually 256 GB SSD models (still i5 and 8GB), but offering them for $350.

So I reordered and it's supposed to show up Thursday. It's currently in Dongola, IL.

Dongola.

I guess I should provide an update on the SurfaceBook...

I've now used it for two photo heavy trips, and its been a champ. Any reliability issues I've had (system wise) have been cleared up by various Windows updates. Adobe still has some work to do in supporting high DPI screens on the Windows side, and they also need to improve some touch/pen support. But they're getting there.

Still use it to read comics every once in a while, and my friend and I played various games on emulators for hours and hours during down time/flights

My only real complaints about the SB is that the 'clipboard' could use some softer edges to make holding it for longer periods more comfortable, and general performance improvements (which will come in future generations, I assume). I'm not too upset about performance, I'm just used to a couple much faster desktops that are completely unfair comparisons.