Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

It's like an ultrabook, except the keyboard is detachable so it turns into a keyboard. It's meant to compete with all the convertible ultrabooks out there, which cost about the same, and have similar specs and price. Seems completely reasonable to me.

Just to help with any possible confusion, there is no Surface 3, only a Surface Pro 3 (which runs Windows 8.1) and a Surface 2 (which runs Windows RT). So the Surface Pro 3 has proper laptop functions.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Blerpa - I already HAVE a Helix. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Blerpa - I already HAVE a Helix. Sadly.
    Yup. got that, feel the pain. Big opportunity missed by Lenovo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Just to help with any possible confusion, there is no Surface 3, only a Surface Pro 3 (which runs Windows 8.1) and a Surface 2 (which runs Windows RT). So the Surface Pro 3 has proper laptop functions.
    Which gives me great hope that MS is killing Windows RT. I thought Windows "Basic" editions were dumb, but RT definitely trumps those.

I still like the idea behind it, and I've liked it since Windows Mobile pocketable clamshell devices came out in the late 90s, but I'm not the average consumer.

It just doesn't make sense anymore. 8.x is VERY fast on very modest hardware. The gap that RT was bridging won't exist in a a year... we'll be able to run full 8 on a cell phone, no worries. I'm sure MS knows that. RT was a money grab.

Can 8.1 be put in (and brought out of)an immediate standby mode that lets it last days without the battery dying? Can 8.1 run on fanless hardware? Does 8.1 run on tablet hardware that will last 8-10 hours of direct use? I have no experience with it, these are genuine questions.

1. "Days" - surely depends on the hardware.

2. I think the answer is "Yes" if youi include the new Core-M stuff. So essentially the same as Answer 1.

3. As per Answer 2.

So 8.1 has a standby mode that still receives and shows notifications but doesn't need to be regularly charged unless it's being regularly used? That's what I'm trying to get at, can you use it as a pick-up and play device that doesn't need to be powered down completely or tethered to a power cord for sporadic use during the day. Many reviewers when it first came out gushed about their iPads ability to leave it on and not have to charge it for a week or more, but it would still get notifications and be instant on, to me that's the experience that x86/64 software and hardware needs to be able to replicate to be viable for a tablet and not just a laptop in tablet form. If I have to put it into a standby mode that doesn't get any notifications for the battery to last past lunch, then no thanks.

The Dell Venue 8 Pros (8" tablet, Nexus 7/Ipad Mini esque) that tsg and I have do all that.

I don't know that I would get 8-10 hours on a charge of *continuous* use (like, screen on the whole time), but I also don't know if any other small tablet really does that. I've gotten quite a few hours while reading books--never actually sat down and timed myself. You can probably find a review of the Venue 8 Pro that gives the battery life while running a movie or something.

edit: trustedreviews.com say they got 7.5 hours running Netflix constantly, which was less than the iPad Mini Retina.
    Whoomah!