Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

Yep, the only thing 8.1 is missing is a cell radio - it and hardware that runs it well are more than capable of conventional cell phone duty. All the other pieces are in place. I'm not ready to suggest the miniaturization of the hardware or the battery technology is ready to cram that stuff into a cell-phone sized (~4") package, but it very well could be. If it's not, I'd say with a fair degree of certainty we are not far off.

Latest Galaxy Tab S 8.4 by Samsung - Android Tablet - has been tried with a constant Netflix showing by Joshua Vergara of Android Authority. Basically he started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix in binge mode to test when the tablet would lose it.
    It was around 8-9 hours IIRC.

Oh, awesome! I didn't know x86/x64 stuff had progressed THAT far, so yeah, RT can definitely die in a fire. My dad's OG Surface will lament this info, but he's still pretty happy with it, that's what matters.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Despite all the shit 8 has received, it does a lot of things really well. Thrown on top of modern Intel mobility hardware and it's a real solution for a lot of needs. It is very small and very fast. The VP8 boots from off in like 6-8 seconds. I don't even leave mine in standby - I shut it down entirely. By the time I've picked it up and sat back down, it's booted and ready to go. 7 on super fast hardware can't achieve that.

It's to the extent that I'm thinking of switching to a Surface Pro 3 for my next machine. Then again, that's also because Lenovo keep attempting to ROYALLY FUCK UP true Thinkpads.

My mom let me know she was interested in getting a smaller, lighter device for travel, about the size of my dad's Surface and must have a keyboard, trackpad and full-size USB w/support for flash drives. I will have to look into some small SSD-driven Win8.1 ultrabooks/netbooks/convertibles/etc.

128GB microSD. Niiiiice.
    Whoomah!

This showed up in my crappy daily ebay email...

http://deals.ebay.com/5001377071__HP...trabook_Tablet_

I'm sorely tempted to get it!

Everyone's lightweight Windows stuff still going strong? It's all systems go for a new laptop for Mom, something sub $400, and I'm just worried about more long distance tech support and holidays spent running months overdue updates and virus scans.