Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

Still love my VP8. The last update fixed the last issue I was having (which was the ability to post to his forum, ROFL!) and it's been solid. I always underestimate the thing - Sunday night I was watching something on youtube and switched tabs in IE to look something up and the video kept playing in the background. I should not have been surprised, but I was - I expected it to be like a phone or regular tablet and halt playback, but it just kept playing like a real computer. Because it is.

Not having any problems with mine.
    Whoomah!

Microsoft Surfaces

Got a Surface Pro 3, i7 w/256GB today. Played with it yesterday and found it damn sweet, also need to get something more portable than my W520 for travelling due to having children, cameras, etc. Haven't started it yet, but I did install Drawboard on the W520 and it seemed powerful and slick enough for me to use on the SP3, along with the ipad for other reviewing/annotation. I'm also assuming it can only get better.

Jealous. I really want one of them, but I just can't justify the price premium over the Venue, even with more power. Glad to hear you like it - I think more people would if they gave it a go.

Gotta ask - why not in the Win8 tablet thread?

Whoomah!

YEAH! Surface owners aren't better than Venue owners. We're all the same, each and every one (just some of us know the value of a dollar better).

Because I'm SPECIAL and forgot that there was one.

This thing is awesome.

My laptop died last week (MoBo failure) and I was wandering around Microcenter looking for a replacement when I saw an Asus Transformer Book T100. Thought it was a small cheap laptop at first, then I pressed the big button on the hinge and went "Oh, I guess tablets are maybe on the table now." To be frank, >90% of my use (screwing around here & on the rest of the net while watching tv in the evenings) could be handled by an android tablet, but I absolutely need full Word, Powerpoint, and Excel functionality for the other ~10%. And it would be convenient to have a keyboard available for that stuff. Also, some of that product line has HD ports built into the keyboard/dock thing, which is attractive, since I prefer to keep some stuff available locally rather than in the cloud.

TL;DR: Does Office function well on the Win 8.1 Tablets? Am I being sucked into a gimmick with this? Would I be better off buying another cheap, small laptop?
    -Formerly Stabulator

Kinda depends on what you do with Office. I do some Word and what I'd consider minor Excel work on my Venue 8 Pro and I don't find it lacking it any particular way. It's an Atom processor with 2gb of RAM, so startup speed isn't blazing fast or anything - it's not awful, though, not enough to ruin my day. At the end of the day, comparing a $200 computing device against a $400 computing device against a $2000 computing device is going to yield the results you would expect it to. As you describe it - 90% casual use and 10% productivity use - a tablet seems like a fair match. There are also convertible laptops out there (the Lenovo Yoga and the Dell 11 come to mind) that might do what you want, too. They carry a small but tangible price increase over The Cheapest Laptop You Can Buy, however. In your shoes, the question would really come down to budget - what is a cheap, small laptop cost in your mind?

As to the Office use - PP for making ocacisional presentations, minor amounts of spreadsheet based data analysis, and Word for final tweaking/formatting of documents. Really, I'd be just fine sticking with my linux desktop/google docs (which is how I do my actual composition) for basically all of that stuff, except that I've found minor differences when exchanging papers, &c. with people(Journal Editors) to whom format is very important -- (trying to properly indent an SAA bibliography in google docs is an excercise in pointlessness).

Budget-wise, I'd like to come in under $500 and ideally ~$400, but if something great were a bit more it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Related: Does stuff like this tend to go on sale after xmas? I'm not crunched for time right now, so waiting a week or so is well within the realm of possibility.
    -Formerly Stabulator