Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast

Thread: The thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before. (The Space thread)

That quick? I thought itíll take months? Or maybe the minor detail tuning testing will take months?

Anyway, canít wait to have the Jehovahs Witness Space Telescope start knocking on heavens door!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    A description of a project that was granted observation time from JWST: "Constraining the Atmosphere of the Terrestrial Exoplanet Gliese 486 b".

We will perform time-series observations to measure the secondary eclipse of the exoplanet Gl 486b. The fundamental parameter that determines the
    length of our time-series observations is the eclipse duration of Gl 486b, which is 1.08 hours. In addition to this length of time, we need to observe
    out-of-eclipse baseline in order to identify and effectively model any instrument systematics. Such systematics typically introduce red noise, which
    can occur on varying timescales and requires longer observational baselines to identify, characterize, and remove. We include 3 hours of baseline, as
    a 3/1 ratio of baseline to in-eclipse observing should allow us to successfully identify and remove systematics. We also include 30 minutes to allow
    the telescope to settle.
    Go ahead, nerd out. There's a lot of cool shit.
    acket.

Seems the rocket debris that is going to crash into the Moon is not SpaceX, but likely to be Chinese.
    Actually that makes sense if they have been doing Moon missions. The Moon is a long way out from any of the typical satellite orbits. Yeah some missions are further out esp Lagrange points, but most things doing satellite insertion wouldn't be that high.

I guess it's cool that we're tracking all the space junk so that future missions won't be jeopardized. However, at this point in time, why should we care if some space junk crashing to the moon?

I think recent solar activity had cause SpaceX to lose some of its Starlink satellites. That kinda sucks. However, luckily they just have so many of them in orbit so it won't cripple the entire system?

Anyway, I'm more eager to see images coming from JWST.

Actually, I'm more eager to see Elon making commercial space travel a reality within my life time. Not sure if we can count on Boeing at this stage of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I think recent solar activity had cause SpaceX to lose some of its Starlink satellites. That kinda sucks. However, luckily they just have so many of them in orbit so it won't cripple the entire system?
    We have Starlink!
    Im posting now using it.

Yes it was just most of the satellites in the latest launch, not most of their existing satellites.

Oh? Thatís cool! Is it fast and reliable enough to be your only source to connect to the internet?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I had a dream that the JWST had a minor navigation miscalculation that had made it crash onto an object in the vicinity.

But it was front page news, and people were really bummed about it. So from that, I conclude that it was clearly a dream and not something that could ever happen in real life. People in the post-Trump world, paying attention to science? pfft.
    acket.

Wow! It's interesting that you'd actually dream about JWST?!?!?

Wonder what that JWST actually represent in your unconscious mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Oh? That’s cool! Is it fast and reliable enough to be your only source to connect to the internet?
    We replaced NBN satellite (geostationary) - its higher bandwidth, much lower delay, better plan. We can get outage when there is no satellite coverage, but that's usually twice a day for total of about 30s. You dont notice it, only find out when you look at the stats. Those outages could even be 4am. So all good so far.
    Actually got a guy here now to install the dish on the roof, it was just sitting on the lawn. This is a serious job, it gets windy here - like road signs blow over, had a house nearby biow away Wizard of Oz style. So it needs a good install. I think he is reusing the existing satellite install, effectively swapping dishs.
    Oh and the Starlink dish is not a dish, as in its not a reflector to then have a collector at the focus. Its a curved antenna. We have the round one, there is also a rectangular one.

But me - I mostly use 4G on my phone and iPad, they are super fast as we have a tower nearby that's mostly just to give coverage to an important road, very few people live here. Hopefully 5G will come soon, its in town and at the ski resort, we are just on the road in-between.

Its just my Mac that I usually put on the wifi to use the satellite internet. And when streaming on the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    I had a dream that the JWST had a minor navigation miscalculation that had made it crash onto an object in the vicinity.
    I guess there are some other objects out there...
    (must be careful not to say satellite, as they are not orbiting the Earth, so aren't technically satellites)
    wiki is your friend:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...agrange_points

Ok so just 3 man made objects at L2. Could be some alien ones! And possibly space stuff.

But cool dream!