Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before. (The Space thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

The thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before. (The Space thread)

I looked and I didn't find a space thread. So here it is. Please feel free to seam this thread it into the old one if one exists.

Off the top of my head, this week we had NASA's day of remembrance linky and RedBull/GoPro released more footage of Baumgartner (not quite in) space antics. linky
    acket.

And try to not read this in Mr. Shatner's voice.
    acket.

Aww I was hoping this was the buttsex thread

Buttsecks is played out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    acket.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    I know I shouldn't but....

http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/sc...sun-01919.html

Dr Ramirez’s team has ruled out any massive planets orbiting close to the star.

“It’s unlikely that a Jupiter analog orbits the star,” Dr Ramirez said.

However, he and his colleagues do not rule out the presence of smaller terrestrial planets.

“The finding of a single solar sibling is intriguing, but the project has a larger purpose: to create a road map for how to identify solar siblings, in preparation for the flood of data expected soon from surveys such as ESA’s Gaia.”

Gaia will provide accurate distances and proper motions for a billion stars, allowing scientists to search for solar siblings all the way to the center of our Milky Way Galaxy.

“The number of stars that we can study will increase by a factor of 10,000,” Dr Ramirez said.

“Don’t invest a lot of time in analyzing every detail in every star. You can concentrate on certain key chemical elements that are going to be very useful. These elements are ones that vary greatly among stars, which otherwise have very similar chemical compositions. These highly variable chemical elements are largely dependent on where in the Galaxy the star formed.”
    acket.

http://news.yahoo.com/hypervelocity-...110934597.html

The discovery of a super-fast star streaking away from the Milky Way may give astronomers a new glimpse at some of our home galaxy's most mysterious details, from its enormous central black hole to the invisible "halo" of dark matter at its far outer reaches.

The so-called "hypervelocity" star is traveling at 1.4 million mph (2.3 million km/h) relative to our solar system, about three times faster than a typical star, a new study reports. The star lies 42,400 light-years from Earth, above the disk of the Milky Way, and is cruising toward the halo of dark matter that surrounds the galaxy.

Download Chris Hadfield's "Space Oddity" while you can. His one year copyright license ends TONIGHT, and he will remove it from the internet.

Wanna Fight?
    He might remove his initial upload, but surely everybody knows that you can't really entirely remove something from the internet.