Page 48 of 84 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: The thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before. (The Space thread)

Success!
    It was the unit that made the first successful landing last year.
    I wonder how many uses they will get out of them.

Junior Potato
    I’m surprised how quiet this thread has been, given the incredible events of yesterday and SpaceX ‘s attempt to launch a car towards Mars.

Here it is from a different perspective. Absolutely watch this with good headphones on, and TURN IT UP.

So cool! Thank you Elon!

Ended up talking a bit about it in the what are you watching and Tesla threads, but yeah, this is pretty awesome. All the videos of the dual landing are amazing.

Too bad about the core, but hopefully there's surviving video, since it sounds like it was quite a spectacular touchdown.

Junior Potato
    I just found out that the Tesla in space has a Hot Wheels car with a little spaceman stuck on the dashboard and a copy of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the glovebox.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Nerd!
    acket.

A friend just asked me if the Falcon rocket was still in orbit, since he saw something at around midnight. It blinked on and off about every 10 seconds.
    Sorry mate, they boosted out of orbit a while ago. I think that might have been planet Qantas

So another test of the EM “impossible” drive has shown it produces thrust...
    But that the thrust was in the same direction, no matter what direction the engine faced.
    Conclusion is that it’s likely an interaction with the earths magnetic field.

So can we drop this stupid idea and work on things that might be possible and useful.

Also - can we blow up science reporters who continue to say “doesn’t require fuel”. If you don’t understand the difference between fuel and propellant you shouldn’t be reporting on space craft engines. Heck just invest a few minutes on Wikipedia and learn some shit. You are suppose to be informing and educating others, maybe start with yourself.
    Last edited by Dicknose; May 23rd, 2018 at 05:24 PM.

Junior Potato
    The only reason it got any traction in the midis is because it was talked about on a forum called nasaspaceflight.com.

It has NASA in the name but it’s not run by NASA in any official way. It feels like just saying the word NASA has some sort of mystical cachet in shitty science reporting.

yes as soon as it was "proved by nasa" it exploded.
    A place that has money from nasa showed it produced some tiny amount of thrust.

Not sure what it weighed but the thrust was originally reported in milli-Newtons and later tests had it in the micro range.
    Something that weights even say 10kg producing 1/1000th of a Newton - could have 1/100,000 of a G acceleration. That might be useful if harnessed over days or weeks. But that is just on the engine. Put the engine as less than 1% of the total weight and you are at a tiny acceleration. Probably not even useful in low orbit because atmospheric drag would be bigger!