Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: The thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before. (The Space thread)

Had clouds the last few days, but was good before that.
    Also being summer solstice for us southern types means that its a very small window between sun down and Jupiter setting. Its not dark here till after 9pm.

Looks like it's going to be cloudy tonight again. Fuck. Can't remember the last time I saw the sun, moon, stars or planets. It's been gloomy skies for a week. Oh well, will have to watch live on YouTube.

Yeah Im still fingers crossed it will clear tonight, its sunny today but a few big storm clouds. Thats still better than complete cloud cover.
    Warming up, which is nice. Except it would be megacool if the temp dropped and we got xmas snow.

Junior Potato
    I can't really walk, and I live on a hill that rises as it goes to the west, so I'm not in a position to easily catch a glimpse of this conjunction. I'll give it a whirl on X-Mas Day though, as I'll be out of the house up at my friend's place. He happens to live at the crest of the hill I live on, so does get an alright view of the western horizon. I think a quick limp and a stroll the 200m to the nearest main road would suffice just after sunset... if I remember!

I saw them on Friday on the way up to Gainesville to get the M2. Had a great view from the middle of Florida, miles from any artificial lights other than the BRZ's headlights. They were in a nice position just to the lower right of the crescent moon.

Might try to catch it with 300mm telephoto tomorrow night. Probably not enough to get the rings, but oh well.

This company is attempting to launch their bio-fuel prototype reusable rocket (today). In the state of Maine. They have 3 payloads. One of which is waffles.

Thereís some sort of launch almost every day, streamed live on YouTube. What an amazing time we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    This company is attempting to launch their bio-fuel prototype reusable rocket (today). In the state of Maine. They have 3 payloads. One of which is waffles.

4hr video and in the end they scrubbed the launch due to weather?!?!?!

Glad I didnít sat thru that entire 4 hrs...

I do wonder if we could launch to space with biofuels...

Another thing to consider carefully is that are biofuels truly carbon neutral? Iíve heard conflicting reports on that and not really sure who to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I do wonder if we could launch to space with biofuels...

Another thing to consider carefully is that are biofuels truly carbon neutral? I’ve heard conflicting reports on that and not really sure who to believe.
    Well they need transport. And they can be responsible for deforestation, which is not only carbon bad, but also bad for biodiversity.
    But generally they are carbon neutral.

Other carbon neutral fuels would be hydrogen from water and methanol from water/carbon. Both of these would need renewable electricity. Neither of these methods is the current most common way to produce the fuels, they tend to come from fossil fuels! That takes way less energy.

I could see SpaceX getting into this, not just to be "green", but as its also how they would produce fuel away from Earth. If you are on Mars or the Moon and had access to water you could do this.

Yes, if our rockets can only run on fossil fuels, then we canít explore too far away from earths fossils... and when we run out, we wonít be able to explore no more.