Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's KN of DOOM was: Rich's 2016 FiST of d00m

The biggest difference was the price of the brake pads($30 @ RA vs. $60 @ Advance).

Love to hear that you've had a great experience so far! I love your mileage, by the way. My '13 SX4 has racked up 23,500 miles in 17 months.

AAP is a complete ripoff. I think their prices are so high because they fully anticipate customers using the various discounts online. It's a rare day when they don't have a 30% off coupon available, and often it's 40% or something like $50 off a $125 purchase. Their regular shelf prices suck, though. Nobody is more expensive. The only way they could stay in business charging those types of prices is if everyone is using the discounts and doesn't take the listed price seriously.

The last thing I shopped there was an O2 sensor for the Mercedes. Their price was $100, everywhere else (including Amazon) was around $70. But with one of those 40% off coupons, their price is suddenly competitive. You just gotta have the code... and shop online (even if you do store pickup). I understand that if you do have a local AAP, the coupons are magic for fluids (oil, etc.). They won't ship oil, but if you can do store pickup you can end up getting good oil for less than Walmart charges.

The Rock Auto stuff shipped today. The reason for getting the calipers is that the right front one is discolored from getting really hot. Hopefully it's still salvageable, if not then I will have the new ones ready to go.

Rear rotors arrived yesterday, rear pads today, front calipers are due tomorrow.

We will do our brakes together, although miles apart. All new stuff for the Benz is due on a FedEx truck tomorrow!

Don't forget to replace as much of the old brake fluid as you can during the process. Nothing kills brake systems like old brake fluid, and if you're going for the long haul spending $20 every couple of years on new fluid will help keep everything happy.

Oh, and don't forget to clean everything (lots of brake cleaner) and lube everything that moves or slides. I like the purple Permatex ceramic goop, but it's probably overkill in 90% of applications.

My neighbor is the one doing the work and not charging me anything for labor(though I'll repay him and his family with a couple of pizzas).

Well, that's nice. All my neighbor does is piss me the fuck off!

*barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark*
    Whoomah!

Oh, we're past that. They had that dog put to sleep. Because they are assholes. We're on a totally different road now.