Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's KN of DOOM was: Rich's 2016 FiST of d00m

You planning on having them put to sleep?

Planning is a strong word, but I've had lots of thoughts on the matter.

Got home early from work today and my neighbor was already home so we got to work on the car. The front brakes weren't as bad as I feared they were, so the calipers didn't need to be changed, which means the ones I bought from Rock Auto get to go back. After two hours we had the fronts and rears changed and the oil/filter and air filters changed.
    003.jpg007.jpg009.jpg
    Last edited by speedpimp; March 28th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Since the neighbor didn't charge me anything and I knew he needed a tool to wind the caliper back I bought him a set of these so that he's prepared for doing brakes and I feel like I paid him something.

I have that exact set sold under a different name. Works great!

Since my normal truck is in the shop with melted injectors, for the past month I have been driving a loaner. This morning its starter screwed the pooch and I had to be towed.
    P061314_1024.jpg

You couldn't pushstart it?

Heh.

So last week I'm talking to my dad and he says he took his car to a shop to get it looked over and they told him that the left front hub was failing and quoted him a price of $250 to fix it. They also said the oil pan was leaking and that the exhaust system from the catback needed replaced. So on Sunday I went over to look at his car('02 Cavalier). I couldn't find any leaks but did notice that the tires were down below the wear bars. He said he had replaced one of the tires with a used one and it was almost as bad as the ones on the car. I told him I Weds off and to meet me at the Discount Tire around the corner from his apartment. An hour or so later and he had a brand spanky new set of GT Champiros. They aren't fancy but they are better than what he had.

I talked to my neighbor who wrenches on cars in his spare time and told him what my dad was told. He said to bring it over and he'd look at hit. I picked the car up after work yesterday and hooked it up to the neighbor's code puller and right off the bat it said the left hub was bad and that one or both O2 sensors were Kablooey, there was a misfire in bank 1 and it was running lean. Took the wheel off and found significant play in the hub. Also noticed that the ABS sensor has separated itself from the hub. And it is still on the original rotors and they are looking really thin. The pads are good though.

I went to Rock Auto and ordered both hub assemblies, the ABS sensors, both O2 sensors and pads/rotors for $256 inc. S&H. Since it has 132k miles the tranny fluid and filter will also be replaced. The cooling system also needs to be flushed but that one is on dad.

Also screw GM for not putting a dipstick on the tranny case to check the fucking tranny fluid.

Why do I do this? Because I want my dad to have a reliable vehicle to get him and his wife around. But I have a feeling that once my niece has driven my dad's old '03 Taurus into the ground that she will end up with the Cavalier. I guess she had it first but said that it wasn't big enough for her and her three kids. She has already totalled two of his cars('00 Taurus that was rolled and an '01 Stratus) that I know of and driven another(Olds Delta) into the ground.

Hopefully after it gets fixed it will get him through to spring. One thing I know about my dad is that he doesn't notice a problem with a vehicle until it fails. If there is one thing that I have learned from associating with you lot for the past fourteen years is to be proactive in vehicle maintenance.

I had Champiros on a Saab 9000 way back in the day, and I loved that tire. No joke, the best cheapest tire I have ever had. Nobody sells them in Sac, or I have more than one car that'd be on them right now.

If you can stay up on this type of stuff, the Cavalier could run forever. If I was closer, keeping the Benz up would be easier. Seeing it only once or twice a year means by the time I hear about it, it's probably too late. Bah - people and their cars...