Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So... Netflix

Yeah, movies are becoming harder and harder to get on Netflix Streaming. However, it'd be worth it just to watch Seasons 1 & 2 of House of Cards (of which Season 2 becomes available on Friday). Then you could cancel it

Junior Potato
    I think half the reason I started this thread in disappointment was that I'd heard many great things about Netflix and their ilk but was let down by their offerings when I finally saw what they have.

I just checked the Playstation movie store and it still costs $6 to rent a movie!

Compare that to unlimited content on Netflix for $8...

Am I getting greedy, or does everyone want to see a HD movie or TV show whenever they want for $1 each?

Sure, everyone wants things for cheap. But the entertainment companies want you to pay out the ass for it. I find it ridiculous that often times digital content costs more than physical media. And then not only that, it's loaded with so much DRM that if a company decides to stop supporting it, you're screwed. Oh, and lets not talk about the idea that you don't even "own" it if you buy it, and they can take it away from you any time, depending on the service.

/rants

Anyways, I subscribe to multiple services, going to cancel one or two of them. And then continue to pirate. I'll gladly buy digital content, when they stop being dicks about it. Took a while with music, I assume movies and tv will catch up sometime.

Well, not sure them being dicks can really justify pirating though. If you think it's too expensive, then just don't buy. Eventually they'll lower the price to a level that you may want. However, if you pirate it, then since you won't be buying even if they lowered the price, then what would be the reason for them to lower their prices? Might as well just rape the honest/dumb costumers in order to make up for the losses due to piracy while they can. When they can no longer milk it any further, then they'd show'em on Netflix.

So don't perpetuate this vicious cycle. I can understand poor starving stupid college kids pirating. But if you make a decent living wage, I think it's time to grow up.

I pirate stuff I want to see but can't easily gain access to. If they want me to stop pirating it, make it available for me on Netflix or a commercial-supported online service.

I was going to watch a couple of episodes of Archer online, but since TimeWarnerCable doesn't have the proper deal with Fox, I can't. Solution? Pirating. They already have it online for free, they just haven't bothered signing some big contract with my carrier or Netflix, which I have minimal control over.

So either they can work with Netflix and/or TWC to get some small amount of money from me, or they can stay where they are and get zero. Either way I'm consuming the content that I want.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I use Redbox to supplement Netflix for new movies. I may just cancel Netflix's disc service since their selection is so poor. BTW, I saw House of Cards available on Redbox.

When I lived in California, Lori and I would do the DVD-through-the-mail Netflix. I thought it was awesome. I could pretty much get anything I could think of. We perpetually had 100 DVDs in the queue despite me watching about 5 DVDs a week while riding the train to work. Alas, the online selection is very limited in comparison, as some have already mentioned. We don't watch DVDs any more. Lori has a few shows she watches via Netflix and Hulu, but I don't watch TV for the most part. Firefly, through Netflix, was the only TV watching I've done in quite some time. We have watched a few movies via the Apple TV.

I agree with crazed_insanity about price/piracy. I represent a dude that works on the shows you're pirating. That annoys me because, in a way, you're stealing my work. Watching shows and movies in a legitimate ways keeps dudes like me in business, helps keep the shows you like going, and helps create new shows for you to enjoy.

I understand that, Cam, but when the only reason I can't watch it for free online is because TimeWarnerCable's contract with them hasn't come up for renewal since FX started streaming episodes from their website, and I could have watched it for free if I had set my DVR (or in Archer's case my DVR hadn't died and switched boxes), then it's hard for me to justify paying $2 to rent each episode.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    I understood that the whole Netflix model came into existence because of the piracy issue. It filled a new niche created when people discovered they could get shit for free but still felt kind of guilty about it.

Before piracy you would have to wait years before a VHS tape of a film you wanted to see hit the bargain bin.

So the argument about piracy keeping prices high is bunk, IMO.

Piracy for sure isn't the only reason. Greedy studios set the prices and they probably deserve the blame too.

Still, just because you're poor and hungry and the bakers are greedy bastards, it doesn't justify stealing their bread. You are still in the wrong.

Further, entertainment is no bread. It's not vital for your survival if you don't have it.

I can sympathize with poor starving students pirating... or perhaps even Kchrpm's case of unable to get it due to distribution problems. Still, don't pretend piracy is justifiable. Even if piracy doesn't increase the cost for paying consumers, for sure it decreases the profit for the intellectual property owners. Giving them less incentives to do great works in the future. However, you look at it, it doesn't help anybody except your own instant gratification.