Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So... Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I use Redbox to supplement Netflix for new movies. I may just cancel Netflix's disc service since their selection is so poor. BTW, I saw House of Cards available on Redbox.
    This I have not experienced. I think their streaming selection has a lot to be desired (which isn't even remotely their fault), but I haven't found their by mail service to be lacking at all. What sort of issues have you experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I understood that the whole Netflix model came into existence because of the piracy issue. It filled a new niche created when people discovered they could get shit for free but still felt kind of guilty about it.
    No way! Netflix is way before the piracy "issue." They came into being to stick it to B&M rental shops, like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. I subscribed to Netflix in '98 or '99, like around the time Napster just started to catch on... I think when Scour was still popular! Years before the big boom - DirectConnect, Kazaa, BitTorrent, etc. Back when Netflix started, pirating music was still a pretty new concept. Nobody had even thought of trying to send video yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I understood that the whole Netflix model came into existence because of the piracy issue. It filled a new niche created when people discovered they could get shit for free but still felt kind of guilty about it.

Before piracy you would have to wait years before a VHS tape of a film you wanted to see hit the bargain bin.

So the argument about piracy keeping prices high is bunk, IMO.
    No, it's because they saw a loophole (movies whenever you want for however you want!) and an acceptable delivery method (I think it's finally to the point where their costs for content licensing is greater than the cost for mailing stuff!) and went for it. The digital rights were initially an add-on, but Netflix has worked well to shift their business and content delivery method to keep up with the changing usages. Piracy wasn't the loophole or the market they saw, but beating the American big-box rental shops was. Now, it seems like Netflix probably has a bunch of DVDs they need to get rid of sooner or later

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus both at the moment, and I'll probably cancel Hulu. The only live/current TV I care much about is pro wrestling, the WWE...and they're about to launch their own digital subscription service with both and on-demand coverage. I also subscribe to sports ones too, the American sports are getting better about providing live coverage over services as well. They're really useful.

I'm glad there's workarounds to get access to that stuff from overseas, and I'm also glad the world is moving this way. My sister doesn't have cable back in the States, and I doubt I would either were I back home.

Wanna Fight?
    Sorry Cam, if I pirate something you worked on, I didn't steal shit from you. You aren't being deprived of anything at all because I pirate things I'm not prepared to buy in the first place.

Another counterpoint is that for digital entertainment media, the studios expect us to buy a (temporary) licence to 'consume' something that has a very good chance of being awful. Let me pay afterward and based on my enjoyment level and I'll have no need to pirate anything.

Would you buy a car without a test drive? Or get married without having sex with the person beforehand?

Now introduce the licence issue where that car dealer can just remove your access to it.
    Last edited by Rob; February 16th, 2014 at 07:02 AM.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Do you not pay for food if you didn't enjoy it as much as you'd hoped?
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

If you tell a manager at a restaurant that you didn't like your meal, they will often comp it or get you another order for free.

Wanna Fight?
    The359: Do you routinely go back and enjoy a meal a year or so after the last time? No. Stupid comparison.

Ironically enough though, I have been to restaurants where the dishes have a suggested price but you are free to pay according to how much you enjoyed it.

Plus what Krunch said. Now look at how many media companies offer refunds for things you didn't enjoy. If I can't try it first....it'd better be something I'm REALLY looking forward to.
    Last edited by Rob; February 16th, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Wanna Fight?
    There's the whole additional argument that applies to downloading music too with regard to the recordings being advertisements for seeing the band live. I downloaded Kvelertak's first album a couple of years back. I could have paid about ten dollars of my money for it, of which the 6 band members would have received a few cents each. What actually happened is that I ended up buying tickets (iirc twenty bucks each) to see them, taking a few buddies, we all bought shirts (thirty bucks per shirt) and they also would have received a cut of the bar takings of which our group alone sunk a good couple of hundred dollars into.
    Last edited by Rob; February 16th, 2014 at 09:26 AM.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I wasn't talking about food that was bad and you deserved a refund, just food that you didn't like.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

I was at a restaurant, ordered something with goat cheese, and then after taking the first few bites remembered that I don't like goat cheese. Totally my fault. They gave me a free meal to go, despite my initial protest to the idea because it was my fault. I forget if they took the original meal off the bill.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    Now, it seems like Netflix probably has a bunch of DVDs they need to get rid of sooner or later
    This is an interesting point. The majority of my DVD collection came from the old rental stock bin at Blockbuster. 5 for $20 or whatever they would do. Since they went out of business, I've barely bought any DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Netflix must have a huge stock of DVD's and BluRays just sitting around that rarely if ever go out enough to be all out at once. I bet the warehouse employees have nice big collections...