Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Boomstick Thread

I'll type up another response this evening with more info and more videos. Keep the questions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Well this is an engineering issue -- assume that said theoretical Quiet Gun is fully engineered to work with subsonic ammunition vs repurposing an existing weapon system.
    For pistols it can be as easy as changing a spring that gets pulled out every time you clean it. However, few manufacturers are going to sell pistols from the factory set up specifically that way so long as you have to pay a $200 tax on top of the suppressor and wait several months for ATF approval. Per suppressor. Ironically, despite stiffer regulations on acquiring firearms, suppressors are usually much easier to acquire in European countries.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Would a slower, bigger bullet have these issues? Bullet design is as critical as the gun it's fired from, right? #assumptions
    Slow bullets may still have these issues. Non-hollow point 45 ACP will shoot straight through people, and non-hollow point 9mm will as well. Bullet design in the form of expanding/fragmenting rounds is the solution. However, nothing is 100% in the real world. The old 147 gr 9mm rounds I cited worked fine in ballistic gel tests from full size test barrels. Throw in real world variables like heavier clothing than was used in the test along with shorter barrels or looser chambers reducing velocity, and you can get hollow points falling to expand. Hollow point design is tricky. Usually there's an optimum velocity range. If the bullet gets pushed too fast via a longer barrel or hotter than factory handloads, the bullet expands but the petals get pushed back, which can result in a smaller bullet than over penetrates. If the bullet is too slow, the hollow point will fail to expand and be more likely to zip right through people.

After years of talking/thinking about it, I finally went out and purchased my first gun. I got a Remington 597. And while I went to the gun store originally wanting a Ruger 10/22, after seeing how much more they wanted for the Ruger, I went with the Remington. Ammo isn't too expensive (yet) and as far as I can tell, I can still purchase a high-capacity magazine. Gun has a 10 round magazine that comes stock. Canadian gun laws are somewhat vague still when it comes to magazine capacity. Certain guns have no magazine size limits, while others do.

shakes is a great name for a guy with a rifle.

Optics? 4x scope or iron sights for now?

Cool deal. I still don't own a proper rifle, just my grandfathers old single shot .22.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    shakes is a great name for a guy with a rifle.

Optics? 4x scope or iron sights for now?

Cool deal. I still don't own a proper rifle, just my grandfathers old single shot .22.
    Just the iron sights for now. I'm only planning to plink with it so we'll see how well I do without a scope. One of the things I like about .22s is that you can customize the crap out of them. They're like the Jeeps of the gun world. Everybody makes bolt-ons for them no matter what you're planning on doing.

I went to Las Vegas to attend SHOT Show 2018, the main shooting sports/industry trade show. Random thoughts followed by pictures:

-This show is effing huge. It basically takes up the whole 2.25 million sq ft Sands Expo Convention Center.

-LED flashlights are becoming increasingly commoditized, making me wonder how long Surefire's expensive flashlights can stick around. They're overpriced compared to Streamlights, let alone the Chinese off-brands. I'm guessing that all the LED components are made in the same few factories in China anyway.

-There are still too many AR pattern rifle makers (assemblers, really) out there. I expect a good amount to fail in the next few years.

-I got some free patches from booth girls at Evike, who said, "AWWWW!" when I showed them the patches' destined location.

-S&W still has no black, no manual safety 5" M&P 2.0 pistol, only the military trials (MHS program) failure FDE (Full Diaper Explosion) with a safety. The M&P 2.0 trigger is still kind of gritty compared to the competition, though maybe it gets better when broken in.

-The Glock 19X, a G17 length grip with a G19 slide is stupid. It's not even identical to the MHS submission since it doesn't have a manual safety. However, the Gen 5 G19 and 17 fit better in my hand and had better factory triggers than any Glocks I've handled.

-Checked out 2 Remington 10mm 1911s. One had the usual lat/rear delt workout of a recoil spring typical in 10mm 1911s. The other was shockingly easy to rack, and almost certainly had the wrong recoil spring in it. Cerberus/Freedom Group era Remington continues to have QC issues.

-Meprolight sights had a super hot girl working their booth the first day I went. She wasn't there the next day, it seemed that they had a whole new crew of Israelis that was all dudes. Their FT Bullseye sight looked pretty neat and easy to acquire, but I'd need to shoot a pistol with one before dropping $200 (msrp) on a non-electro-optical sight.

-Green combat sights may be here to stay. I looked through a 1.5x ACOG, an EOTech, and a Meprolight RDS with green circle reticles, and they were easier to pick up than red, even against green backgrounds.

-Simple dot only red dot sights are less than ideal with my slight astigmatism, whether cheapies or expensive Aimpoints.

-I couldn't believe how many brands and importers there were for Turkish shotguns.

-The slide riding inside the frame rails on CZ-75s and their clones (EAA/Tanfoglio) result in a low bore axis, but also make the slides harder to pinch and rack. The ambidextrous safety on the CZ Scorpion results in it gouging your properly indexed finger when it's in fire mode regardless of what hand you use. Didn't fondle CZs as much as I'd like, because it seemed like everybody was filming there when I stopped by.

-DS Arms had some titanium receiver FALs. They were shockingly light for an FAL or .308 semi-auto rifle in general.

-We were all set to mock Oriskany Arms as another overpriced $3000+ 1911 maker, but then they told us that their entirely domestic made 1911s start at $750 and that took the winds out of our jackassery sails.

-The Israeli Weapon Industries Tavor X-95 has a decent trigger for a bullpup, which tend not to have great triggers due to long distances between the trigger and the fire control group in the back of the rifle. The Negev LMG was nice and lightweight compared to the FN MAG/M240 at 17 vs 25 lbs.

-H&K guys were kind of dickish. The VP9's paddle mag release isn't long enough, though other than that it's pretty nice. H&K also had some P2000s with the LEM trigger. Even by DA/SA standards, the DA trigger pull is phenomenally heavy (probably 12+lbs) and bad in general. My cousin told me to try it, and I literally asked, "Is this a joke?"

-Kriss Vector, which I've always thought was cool and futuristic looking in spite of semi-auto pistol caliber carbines, and arguably the full-auto submachine guns that they're based on being obsolete. Janelle loved the variant in Far Cry 3. I chose the stormtrooper white variant for better contrast against my dark shirt. My father made one of the reps take one apart in front of him.
    IMG_20180123_104920.jpg

Zenith Z-5, a Turkish clone of the H&K MP5. Overpriced at $2300 given that the Turks paid off their H&K tooling decades ago, but I still like them for their 1980s cool factor:
    IMG_20180124_110727.jpg

Steyr AUG, a rifle I've loved since the futuristic looks awed me when I saw it in Die Hard as a kid. The trigger is as terrible as I've heard, but I still want one.
    IMG_20180124_111256.jpg

FN P90. I'd like one, even though in 5.7x28mm, they're not cheap to feed.
    IMG_20180124_151034.jpg

S&W Model S&W500 Magnum seemed nicely made, but a bit on the small side:
    IMG_20180124_153456.jpg

5.7 has gotten cheaper since one of the American companies makes ammo for them now

I used a knockoff Surefire on my M16, but I didn't have to shoot people so it wasn't that important.

Whenever I see a bullpup gun, I just think 90's actions movie bad guy.

You are the second person I know that attended this year's SHOT. The other is a national officer for the RMEF. I would love to attend the show just once. How hard is it to get a pass if you're not a LEO, journalist or "in the business"?