Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (potential spoilers! read at your own risk)

Fuck yeah! Preach!

I get the impression some of you guys want to be upset by this last season.

Arya - She also knocked off all of house Frey in a couple of installments and did use her mad skillz everywhere from getting out of Bravos to wandering Westeros to killing whytes. You'd also assume that she'll keep using them in the future. And it was the night king, you know, saving the known world and all that

Gendry - He was always a blacksmith and the son of one of the greatest fighters Westeros has ever seen. His behaviour seemed entirely consistent with his story arc.

Varys - I assume the other remaining lords like Yara, Dorne etc

Bran - If Bran had've done anything he would have changed the outcome. As for what he used his powers for, well, he did win the game of thrones didn't he. Arguing up that ending up as King at the end of the show is a big fat nothing seems a bit silly to me.

Bronn - Is currently Lord of the richest house, probably why he's master of coin. Granted, he wouldn't have been my pick but I assume he was there for jokes in the last scene and because he's generally a well liked character

Mountain - he was basically a zombie so yeah, I could believe that as much as I could believe that he's a zombie.

Danys - Yes, that was the point.

After the first few seasons where anyone you got attached to died in the last few seasons it's seemed like only the bad guys or smaller characters were killed off. I get the impression that a lot of people have been lulled into a false sense of security that this was a TV show that was going to have a happy ending and butterflies and faeries and stuff. It never was that show so I don't understand when people are getting upset about the final season when it didn't end that way.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    "Uncle, sit down" was the best line and the highlight of this turd of an episode. Which was not a highlight in this toilet bowl of a season.

Arya went through all that shit to become an accomplished fighter and deadly assassin and use it exactly <checks notes> once? She left Winterfell to go kill Cersei then turned back when the hound told her to go back? Assassin that she is? That whole story line led to her sailing west? Weak.

Gendry went from being a nobody, to an almost Nights Watch, to prisoner/ an object of a high priestess, worlds rowing champion, master weapons maker and accomplished fighter, to finally sit at the council of the Lords and not say anything? Did he say anything in that entire episode?

Who was Varys writing to?

Bran did nothing and was elected King? "He didn't do nothing, he can warg, he can control animals,he can see the past, he can see the future" and he sat there in his chair and didn't do anything at the battle of Winterfell. Why didn't he warg into the dead dragon and kill the night king and save us an entirely poorly lit episode. Why didn't he warn Daenerys that Melisande would be captured? Why didn't he warg into Drogon in the last battle, right after the bells were rung, and fly Drogon up to the castle to kill Cersei? What did he use his powers for? A big fat nothing.

Notable that they all laughed at the thought of democracy. Good effort Sam.

Bronn, if I could recall, can barely count: he can fuck, fight and drink. Master of Coin? His character development, I thought, was actually quite good. You see him as nothing but a sellsword, then a companion of Tyrions in the castle, his world view being broadened, yet his old sellsword self always lurking in the background.

A knife through the brain couldn't kill the Mountain? The fucking brain! But a fall into a fire did?

That speech of Danys, from the top of the steps, was the speech of a tyrant. She was ready to go on marching and killing and liberating. Almost as though she didn't want to govern.

I could go on and on about characters, plot lines enmeshed in character development that lead to nowhere.

The producers did the fans dirty with this whole season.
    Spot on, dude. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    I get the impression that a lot of people have been lulled into a false sense of security that this was a TV show that was going to have a happy ending and butterflies and faeries and stuff. It never was that show so I don't understand when people are getting upset about the final season when it didn't end that way.
    Personally, a happy ending wasn’t really necessary, but a payoff of some type would’ve been nice. Something to make up for the gross mischaracterizations of season 8.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    West World Season 3 opening scene:

Fade from black: a ship. The very same ship Arya left Westeros on. Fade from black to it docking at what looks like Disney Land. People/families all over the place, monorails, etc, etc.

Pan/Zoom in on Arya's face, with an obviously puzzled look.

Cue West World techs running to her to process her, as she's just an actor-bot from another one of the company's themed parks that got lost (if you've seen the first two seasons, this makes a little more sense).

Queue opening credits. Arya/Maisie gets a cameo.

That's the only think in my head that makes sense of what GOT finale was.

Varys - I assume the other remaining lords like Yara, Dorne etc
    Survived playing "the game of thrones" with the Lannisters, yet loses and dies the first time he does anything with Dany. Really? He never exposed himself that much. Maybe he thought it was a risk worth taking, but it seemed odd that the master manipulator went out with such a weak play.

Bran - If Bran had've done anything he would have changed the outcome. As for what he used his powers for, well, he did win the game of thrones didn't he. Arguing up that ending up as King at the end of the show is a big fat nothing seems a bit silly to me.
    I have no problem with him being the most knowledgeable - but he has shown almost zero interest in what is happening around him.
    Having a leader that DOESNT want the throne and power is fine. But they actually need to give a crap about the people they rule - he doesnt.
    Terrible choice of leader.

Bronn - Is currently Lord of the richest house, probably why he's master of coin. Granted, he wouldn't have been my pick but I assume he was there for jokes in the last scene and because he's generally a well liked character
    Yeah it seemed like a poor excuse to show him one more time. No way he would want that job - he earns money by killing, spends it on wine and whore - he doesnt count money.

Mountain - he was basically a zombie so yeah, I could believe that as much as I could believe that he's a zombie.
    Agreed.
    And the "snab in brain" is not always fatal. I actually get a bit annoyed at Walking Dead, any stab to head and they drop instantly. The brain is big and unless you get right to the base its a good chance you are just taking out some functions. Oh cant remember last year or how to talk. Lose emotions. Maybe lose function on one side. Think stroke victim. But a stab in the head doesnt kill instantly.

Danys - Yes, that was the point.
    I can see that having her turn mad and then have to die was a good plot.
    Its the execution (!) of it that I didnt like.
    In particular that "snap" when the bells rang - just seemed way way too big a leap. She had won, why snap? Why snap against the people? If she had just attacked Cersei or had something more specific happen. Heck if they had even setup bells as some trigger item. But no - we are to accept that she just lost it and torched everyone.
    Even in the last ep when they tried to list all the people she killed and justify this as just one step further - no, it was a county mile further and unbelievable.

After the first few seasons where anyone you got attached to died in the last few seasons it's seemed like only the bad guys or smaller characters were killed off. I get the impression that a lot of people have been lulled into a false sense of security that this was a TV show that was going to have a happy ending and butterflies and faeries and stuff. It never was that show so I don't understand when people are getting upset about the final season when it didn't end that way.
    I dont mind them killing off people, even if it didnt seem fair.
    What annoyed me is that it felt like character development was ignored, things happened that just seemed stupid and manipulated.
    How did they not know that Eurons iron fleet was waiting for them? Between having the master of whispers and someone flying high on a dragon - how did you get surprised by a full fleet?

It did feel like RR had given them the end point and they werent sure how to get there and took some big jumps that didnt feel consistent.
    The destination feels wrong probably because the journey wasnt right.
    Ok so I can blame Martin for not having finished the books. I think if he had fleshed it out more it would have been a lot better. He would get us to the same point and it still might not feel "happy" but it would feel more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    What annoyed me is that it felt like character development was ignored, things happened that just seemed stupid and manipulated.
    Truth.

That’s the basis for my, (and most likely everyone else’s), grievance as well.

I agree about Varys, I thought that was kinda silly. I think they just wanted to remove him to isolate Dany but maybe they would have been better off sticking a big spear through him the episode before but I guess then Dany would'nt have felt 'betrayed'

Bran I think was playing the game much more than people think. We knew something was happening with him and Tyrion, they had a couple of long quiet chats and there was always the odd looks Bran gave him. Since he came back to winterfell he's been putting the pieces in place from making sure Arya had the knife to, as he said, coming down to the council meeting.

And Dany I didn't think was much of a leap, she's always been a for me or against me kind of person and has always been brutal to those who she didn't consider were for her.

Anyways, I do get the impression that people are starting to get a bit nitpicky, there's just as much silly stuff from the earlier seasons because ultimately it is a fantasy with dragons and magic and swords and stuff. Its just that now everyone is in a competition to say what is wrong with it and in doing so they're getting sillier than the plot holes they're claiming exist.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, great show, one of the best of all time and for me held high standards through to the end.

And Jon is still King of the North, although probably a bit further North than he wanted.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, great show, one of the best of all time and for me held high standards through to the end.
    Certainly still one of the best, regardless of the weak ending. But for many years it was in the conversation for best of all time, with Breaking Bad and Sopranos being the other contenders. Now it’s not as prestigious anymore IMO, but definitely still top five.

A better ending would have been if Drogon torched Jon instead of the throne, but Jon survives it, because he's a Targaryan (except they ruined that part when he got burned throwing a lamp at a wight in season 1) Earns Drogons and EVERYONES immediate respect, and becomes King. Sansa could still keep the North.