Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (potential spoilers! read at your own risk)

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    A better ending would have been if Drogon torched Jon instead of the throne, but Jon survives it, because he's a Targaryan
    Targaryans are NOT immune or fire resistant at all. ONLY Daenerys is, and only because she is the Mother of Dragons, not because she is a Targaryan.
    It has been officially cleared some time ago by Martin himself.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    Its just that now everyone is in a competition to say what is wrong with it and in doing so they're getting sillier than the plot holes they're claiming exist.
    Yup, and nothing seems to try and generate clickbait/clicks like outrage over a major cultural phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Targaryans are NOT immune or fire resistant at all. ONLY Daenerys is, and only because she is the Mother of Dragons, not because she is a Targaryan.
    It has been officially cleared some time ago by Martin himself.
    Either way, it would have been a better ending.

Here's a great article. Kind of puts things in perspective for those of us who get overly upset when pop culture doesn't meet our expectations. Give it a whirl.

You can’t change your favorite pop culture — but you can change how you engage with it

Me personally, when the angst has settled I'll probably re-watch GoT from the beginning, with the ending in mind, and try to find a new appreciation for it. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

More like LAME of Thrones, amirite?

/dad voice

I'm not angry.... I'm disappointed

/dad voice

Which is about it for me. If the show writers had paced things more steadily throughout the run of the show, they would have allowed themselves screen time to give us some more satisfying conclusions to the arc of some of the characters. Maybe not a different ending, eg: Varys killed, but a better build up to his (inevitable?) demise. The early series were perhaps a bit too lingering on development (not unlike the books), whereas they might have moved the plot along at a brisker pace.

Had they done so, maybe we might have had half a series covering a campaign of battles against the white walkers, and then the same against Cersei at Kings Landing. Rather than roughly one episode for each. Maybe they might have given more time to show us what Bran was actually doing, or learning, as the three eyed raven. So he ends up on the Iron-o-shit-our-throne-is-gone, and we collectively nod our heads and say that yes, we can see why that's a good outcome.

From the link about engaging with popular culture, yes, there are elements of truth that we don't own the culture we consume. But truly, sometimes the way a series ends up going, is going to be widely considered to be shark jumping. There will be push back against everything by some people (because unless you're bacon, you can't please everyone), but the level of push back is going to be wide. Game of Thrones season 8, and the Last Jedi are both going to be good examples for decades to come (also, don't think I'm not looking at you as well, Phantom Menace).

At least it wasnt Lost

Agreed with the pacing. More screen time to set stuff up might have made it feel more natural.
    But I dont think they needed to change the whole series - just commit to 10 eps in the last season would have made a big difference.
    And give Arya a cape - she needs a cape!

Pretty Accurate.

Anyone watch The Last Watch last night?

I tried to get into it but it was hard. I guess if you're intrigued by the production side of TV/film, you'll find it interesting.

I'm still soured by the whole GoT experience of this season, but I might try to watch this again later in the week.