Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

They are currently putting in new poles in the area to handle the weight of the Fiber cables. Shouldn't be too long before I can get it.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    http://blog.netflix.com/2014/03/inte...trong-net.html

Not entirely sure it fits here, but it kinda does.

I couldn't decide on one snippet to quote. It's a really good entry from one rich dude.
    acket.

i think Verizon quit rolling Fios out anywhere new years ago.. they sold to Frontier here and Frontier basically killed Fios TV service a while back, they've started to offer it again but did their best to boot all their tv customers over to satellite. return on investment plus new service/construction teething issues. (here at least)

their rollout and sell out all happened while i was still working at Comcast. it seemed like they offered stupid low rates to get customers then couldn't deliver the service quality they advertised based on what customers coming back to cable were telling me.

i just wish for the day when ALL tv services work like on demand or netflix. none of this set packages crap. it sucks to want a single channel but have to get a 20 buck a month package with 30 other channels in it.

Fiber lines are being ran in my neighborhood as we speak.

People have already pledged to sign on.

The end is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    i just wish for the day when ALL tv services work like on demand or netflix.
    So you want them to work where you pay individually for every episode or movie you watch, or where you get everything, even stuff you will never ever watch, for one flat rate?

The first one is available through stuff like iTunes, the second is basically what cable is except cheaper and with an unlimited space cloud DVR.

Flat rate or even a flat rate per network assuming you could do it by parent company. So like 10 bucks gets you every network/channel owned by fox or nbc universal and the respective shows.Hell even with ads like fox does now on demand would be okay.

Media companies will never go for it though.

They'll do whatever gets them profits.

Easiest is to not support digital much OR make it only available if you have a cable subscription. Then cable companies can squeeze from the other side. Make internet prices higher, etc.

Oligopolies are fun.

It's funny that I hope Google gets into the internet connection game nation wide... because they have a relative monopoly in other areas of tech. But hey, gotta choose your battles.

They seem less evil though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    So you want them to work where you pay individually for every episode or movie you watch, or where you get everything, even stuff you will never ever watch, for one flat rate.
    Heh... I don't even need to mention it....

It's pretty much a given at this point, isn't it?