Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Livery / Time Trial / Race GT Sport competitions with 27Racers - all welcome!

Weekly Livery / Time Trial / Race GT Sport competitions with 27Racers - all welcome!

Shortly after lockdown first started last Spring, a bunch of motor journalists & PR people started a friendly & informal weekly competition on GT Sport. A car and track is announced, everyone then goes to make a livery for the car, with historically linked racing liveries being popular. There's then a timetrial to set your best lap time, with a deadline of 7:30pm UK time Thursday. The timetrial acts as a 'pre-qualifying' for the online race from 8pm Thurs, although extra overflow rooms are established for anyone who misses the cut. There's then qualifying followed by one or more races.

I've been enjoying it for a few reasons. It's varied and not too serious, you can drop in and out each week depending. The TT rules are fairly relaxed, and once online people make their best effort to avoid bumping others but don't get too bitter if things do go awry. The participants are mostly our kind of age, and include some names like Dan Trent & Nick Trott that may be familiar if you read Pistonheads or Evo magazine, as well as car industry PR people. We've had a few visits from truly talented racers, but generally the field is competent but not crazy-quick - I usually end up mid-pack. There's quite an interest in historic motorsport, both in racing older cars and adapting classic liveries. Doing the livery is more fun when there's a theme and people are going to see it, and pounding round the track trying to shave off tenths then becomes invaluable in staying on the track for the race itself.

If anyone's interested, sign up at https://27racers.com/start , this week's challenge is the MX-5 at Suzuka East (see last pic for my R100-based livery). I appreciate that 8pm UK time (currently UTC) won't work for many here, though.

That sounds (and looks) pretty cool. Alas, I have not raced GT since I sold my PS2 in 2005.

Junior Potato
    Ok, I’ve signed up! I wish I could use my wheel - controller only for me at the moment.

And your 8pm is my 6am, so it isn’t too horrible. The cats wake me at sunrise to be fed anyway

What day of the week do the races usually occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Ok, I’ve signed up! I wish I could use my wheel - controller only for me at the moment.

And your 8pm is my 6am, so it isn’t too horrible. The cats wake me at sunrise to be fed anyway

What day of the week do the races usually occur?
    Awesome! Races are generally on Thursdays (that sounds like Friday morning your time?) I'm on a dualshock too and running mid-pack, I don't feel I'm losing out too badly with it.

Junior Potato
    I’d better paint a car and submit a lap time.

It feels like a good low-effort way to enjoy a spot of racing. Aside from the race itself, I don’t want to spend more than an hour on it.

(Watch me practise for an hour but spend three hours in the livery editor )

Junior Potato
    I did my requisite hour of practise and I'm on the leaderboard for the MX-5 race in 11th!

Not bad.

Behold the glory.

Great stuff with the livery & the time both!

Follow @27Racers on twitter for info, but I think we need to friend request ‘norramot’ PSN handle to get into Room 1 - have requested but am still waiting.

Now in Room 1 hosted by 'chauspain', see you there

Gutted that we couldn't get you in today! No idea why Chauspain didn't see your request.

Junior Potato
    Thanks for trying though. I'll have another shot next week.

Checking the pics now on Twitter and it looked like an epic time