Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic Tourer

Can't temp you with a racing version? Honda will be campaigning them in this years British Touring Car Championship.

I still hate that we don't get the Type-R here.

Like the Si, it would still be bringing a knife to a turbocharged gunfight that is the modern sport compact scene.

With the addition of an inferior rear suspension and 170 lbs.

If Honda gave us a CRZ or Fit equipped with the DOHC VTEC K20 they'd have a pretty hot number, though, one that would likely outrun the Fiesta ST and Fiat Abarth, and hang with Mini Cooper S.

The sport compact market, such as it is in the US these days, seems to have two distinct tiers.

- Larger cars, such as the Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3 (currently out of production, though), and Civic Si. The Civic is the weak sister in this group and I don't see nearly as many of the new 2.4L versions as I did the 2.0L previous generation. While I think the 2.4L is less desirable, I think the reality is that most of the previous gen Si were sold before the financial collapse in 2008, and the market for youth oriented cars in general is pretty terrible. The regular WRX probably also belongs in the group, though fundamentally I think the AWD cars are a class above, but the WRX lets you get into the STi/Evo class for FWD sport compact money, more or less.
    - Smaller hot hatches, primarily the Fiat Abarth and Focus ST. Also the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. The Juke NISMO and NISMO RS are intriguing options, too. The Mini Cooper S is sized in this market but priced against the bigger cars and beyond.

That's about it in the US for smaller sporty stuff these days. The 86 and, to a lesser extent, the Miata, are competition for the bigger cars in price, even though, IMO, they're a different market, especially the Miata.
    Last edited by KillerB; February 23rd, 2014 at 12:25 PM.

Well the new Civic Type R is supposed to be turbocharged so you might get it.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    That's about it in the US for smaller sporty stuff these days. The 86 and, to a lesser extent, the Miata, are competition for the bigger cars in price, even though, IMO, they're a different market, especially the Miata.
    And this has always struck me as an odd trend amongst the 86 community, in how many want to compare the car to the Genesis Coupe when I feel they are completely different markets. The 86 is closer competition to the Miata than it is to the bigger Genesis.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Well, when you have a price:size:cost:configuration "mismatch" like you do with the 86, weird comparisons are bound to happen. Much like the CTS-V, which was compared against the M3 (it was much larger) and against the M5 (it was much cheaper). The 86 exists - in the US - in a null space where it has no direct competition. It's priced higher than other youth oriented cars, it's smaller and more cheaply made than much of its direct price competition, and being RWD it's in rarified company. Hamfisted comparisons (including those by yours truly ), are inevitable. Whaddayagonnado?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
    Can't temp you with a racing version? Honda will be campaigning them in this years British Touring Car Championship.
    That generally works because the crap black plastic on the wheel arches is gone, the lower stance and ground effects make it look less like a half-assed Crosstrek, and the livery hides the clumsy lines and mutant door configuration.

Maybe a revision to an old axiom? "You can't polish a turd, but you can put racing stripes on it."

Yeah, not sure if it's ugly, but for sure it's not good looking either.

Verdict is that I wouldn't buy it.

Anyway, I do think Honda is perhaps improving? For example at least I'm beginning to like the new Accord... or would consider it if I'm ever in the sedan market again. As for the current Civics..., I don't think they'd be near the top of my shopping list.

I don't mind the roofline or the rear door handles that much. But, the ginormus rear wheel arches and plastic arch covers are not pretty.