Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming devices.

Streaming devices.

Alright lads. School me.

I need something that will allow streaming of US/ UK content in South Africa. My cousins Apple TV (there) will only stream local content. By that I mean what Apple chooses to sell/ stream there.

Roku? Slingbox? Apple TV? Just settle for a Chromecast and youtube videos? Or is there a workaround I don't know of?

GO!

Create a US iTunes account, bitches?

I don't know if this can help a bit to decide, I'd go either Roku 3 or Chromecast, the two extremes of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Create a US iTunes account, bitches?
    ITunes will only bill a card for the iTunes store with an address in the same country.

Knowing what the devices are is not the problem. I can google that.

It's figuring out how to get US or UK content streaming for someone who isn't in those markets and doesn't have a credit card with a terrestrial address there.

Probably can't happen. Virtually all content is restricted by locality.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    ITunes will only bill a card for the iTunes store with an address in the same country.
    All of my, uh, "friends" have US iTunes accounts even though they live here. Just input a US address. I think most of them use the White House or some random address.

You'll need to use another email address for the US iTunes account, though. Or so I hear.

We're cutting the cord or, in our case, satellite connection. Just shut off our DirecTV ($100/mo savings) and picked up a Roku Streaming Stick ($50). I think, based on our general viewing patterns, we'll be fine with Amazon/Hulu+/Netflix + discs. Only sticky point may be local baseball games that aren't on OTA television (most of them)--maybe I can persuade my f-i-l to get a slingbox for his house, and we'll stream the games from there.

I went with the Roku instead of a Chromecast because it's standalone. Having to use a casting device with a 7-yr-old seemed like a recipe for disaster and/or 7-yr-old watching pr0nz.

I'm in the middle of setting it up, so no impressions so far other than a vague disappointment that it needs power, either from a wall wart or powered USB connection. I'm going to try running it through my receiver, which will mean no additional wires to the teev.
    Whoomah!

Good for you! I've managed with only Netflix/discs for a decade and never once regretted it (nor the ten+ grand I've saved on service). My sports TV consumption is nil, though, so I guess that's a component. If your FIL has DTV, you could always use the DTV streaming service - one of my coworkers does that quite successfully, though I don't know for what content, maybe not sports or not local sports. But, really, if that programming is no longer an option, you can always just invest the saved time in replacing that MTX75.

Ended up running into the teev...the wifi signal kept dropping when the stick was buried behind the receiver.
    Whoomah!