Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General broadband thread

General broadband thread

Got my Fibre activated a couple of weeks ago:

Not bad for £10 a month. They do an 80/20 package but I don't get a discount so not going for that one at the moment. I'm also using a 5GHz Wireless Bridge instead of a cable so I'm pretty pleased with that.

You, sir, can fuck right off.

Sincerely,
    An American Whose "Free Market" Has Dictated That He Has A Choice Between Shitty And Sucky For Broadband Service
    Whoomah!

Whoomah!

I frequently see the population density excuse for our shitty internet.

I don't buy it, because I live in a dense Chicago neighborhood (Tyler, Keith, and Adam can all attest) and all I can get is overpriced Comcast cable and horrifically slow AT&T DSL. Hell, I think AT&T has pretty much stopped investing in their local fiber optic network unless they're signing up a condo association or apartment complex with dozens of units.

Weirdly, Time Warner randomly upgraded my service from 50Mbps to 100Mbps, and sent me a letter saying the upgrade is free. Now, I haven't actually SEEN 100Mbps, but before it would flatline at 50Mbps, and now gets up to 85+. So that's nice, but I still felt like FiOS was more reliably fast.

After some initial glitches (usually not more than 400/300 even on my man desktop) 1000/1000 fibre seems to be delivering, and is working out pretty awesome.

While for some people the lack of investment, especially in rural areas is really giving rise to a 'two tier' internet where those in population centres get huge choice over their provider while those in rural area are deemed to have a choice but what they get is a choice of which company leases space from British Telecom, I am glad that out Regulator, OFCOM basically tied one hand behind BT's back for several years, mandated that the part of BT that controls 'the last mile' (From Exchange to property) be spun off completely and is not allowed to give any Internet or Telephony provider preferential treatment. This means that there is plenty of competition, despite the fact that BT, Sky, Everything Everywhere (Formed by T-Mobile and Orange Merger), Talk Talk and Virgin (Owned by Liberty Global as it happens) control 98% of the domestic broadband market. You nearly always have the choice of changing provider if you're not happy with the existing company. Although I work for my ISP and used to get DSL free (normally £7.50 for what was 23 meg down, 1.2 up) and now pay half the standard price for my Fibre (the £10 mentioned in the first post) should I wish to I could choose from half a dozen other providers as well as dozens of smaller independent ISP's. The idea that a single provider brings competition, and the FCC can't see that it's bad for the consumer boggles the mind.

it's like the FCC has forgotten they have balls and is just pussyfooting around the big companies. The day these companies aren't afraid of the regulator is the day every consumer should be scared of. Virgin Media here have their own network that they've expanded while making losses of £100's of millions year on year while doing so. No one else has even bothered to consider creating their own network because BT's own network is already there. I can understand that someone like Time Warner or Comcast would be unwilling to open their own network that they've paid through the nose to setup and install, but IMO it should have been a condition of allowing them to do so. After a certain amount of time which they can have a monopoly to make their money back (or set it at a certain subscriber number as a ratio of potential customers reachable by the network) then they should have been forced to wholesale access to their cable service. At the moment they have their customers over a barrel, hence the overchartging for a poor service and they can't change to someone else. The FCC has dropped the ball not just once but multiple times.

:/

I could upgrade, I'm sure, but not worth it.

Female Masturbatory Aid

I may check it later this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post

I may check it later this evening.
    That's basically what I get here in DC...

The thing I'm tired of, though, is the ever increasing prices. I pay $85 a month now for internet. When I started with Comcast some 7 years ago, it was about $40 a month.