Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saab isn't dead. Okay, well it mostly is. But this particular one isn't.

There's kinda no reason to, in this case. If you can't do variable timing or lift, then why not stick with a tried and true mechanical system that's been pretty well perfected over the last century?

Engineering state-of-the-art is being pushed at the street-car level these days, not on the race track.
    Whoomah!

Somebody need to start a new kind of 'NASCAR' series that utilizes the state of art technologies seen in street cars!

Anyway, racing regulations really shouldn't be that detailed... should just define engine displacement and that's IT! If you can build a W-40 engine that with variable whatever that can beat other teams, good for you!

Whatever, back to topic. So sorry to hear that we'll no longer be needing Cam around in the future.

I sort of agree. I'm not familiar enough with sanctioning bodies to understand fully their reasoning in regulations. I'm sure, somehow, loosely, it's tied back to safety... back when an engine could be 3l and someone figured out how to make 3l produce 2000hp that changed the game in an unsafe way.

Christian Koenigsegg almost bought Saab... there must have been some reason a guy like that was interested in the company.

Too bad he and Victor Muller of Spyker couldn't have worked together to create something really cool.

Agreed!

I figured that the very specific engine rules nowadays were meant to keep costs to stay competitive down (relatively). If you can use anything, then the teams that can afford to test everything will be the ones who win.

And production based NASCAR has existed in various forms of road/endurance racing. American audiences don't care, and won't care.

I know... I was just being pissy.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Which is dumb.

I want the limits of engineering to be pushed, on all levels.
    They did that in the 80s, it was too dangerous. Now we have this.

I'd like to see a race series where powerplant is limited by weight and overall size footprint/external volume rather than arbitrary measures like capacity and configuration.