Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: TheBenior's GTI and Ducati Monster 696. Da Bears, dabears, dabears, dabears.

I picked up a set of VW Classix wheels for winter. Kind of like these, but not in as good of condition since they've had ~10 years of use. I'm debating getting them refinished and powdercoated before I buy tires for them. There's a place in a south suburb that'll do it for $50/wheel.

Would look good in black, against the blue.

You know, like the ones you already have.

2019 manual transmission GTI/GLIs have some sort of stalling issue that manifests itself when slowing to a stop with the clutch depressed while in gear. NHTSA has opened an investigation. My car has done it twice; once with under 400 miles, once at 862 miles. I've done about 1,000 miles since then without any stalls. Some people have cars that stall quite predictably; and some of them have had their cars bought back by VW. There are a lot of theories on why this is happening. AFAIK, the only differences between the 2019 and earlier models are switching to 0W20 from 5W40, and a different oil pump to work better with that change. Presumably there were some software changes (because VW loves changing things for the sake of change), but no engine internal changes are known.

Oddly, my GTI's fuel economy calculations generally read high by unpredictable amounts vs hand calculating. Could be 1 mpg high, could be 4 mpg high. My CX-5 seems to pretty reliably calculate fuel economy. If that's off, it's off by a 2-3 tenths, not a few mpg. In any case, the GTI is still averaging 29 mpg, 7 mpg better than my Mazdaspeed3 got.

Wheels are back from the powder coater, they took a month vs the 2-3 weeks I was initially told, but I could've paid an extra $50 for same day turn around.

Results are pretty good, I can't tell where the curb rash was on the spokes/rims apart from one 1/4" spot that's not perfect. Now I just need to settle on what winter tires I'm getting. I also ordered some random eBay VW center caps that hopefully don't let me down like the "MAZOASPEEO" caps I bought before.

IMG_20190926_155437.jpg
    IMG_20190926_175618.jpg
    IMG_20190926_182011.jpg

That's hot.

I got Continental Winter Contact SI tires in 205/50-17 installed on the wheels today. The 5mm of extra offset combined with being the wheels and tires being narrower (by 0.5" and 20mm, respectively), give the rear wheels in particular a tucked in look. If it really bothers me, I'll get an eBay spacer/bolt kit, because I'm sure not paying what ECS wants for one of their 'flush kits.' I also weighed one of my factory wheel/tire, and it came in at 45.4 lbs. The tires are listed at 22 lbs by Tirerack and 25 lbs by Bridgestone, so I figure the OEM wheels are 20-23 lbs. That's not too bad by OEM 18" wheel standards; my Mazdaspeed3's 18x7s were 24 lbs each.

IMG_20191016_163319.jpg
    IMG_20191016_174146.jpg

Still surprised you went with full winter tires.

That's a sharp looking car. Would look pretty awesome going fast around Gingerman next year.

That looks like a pretty kickass winter setup to me.

(Disclaimer, I don't spend any time in snowy winter climates in winter).

My experience with my Mazdaspeed3 has told me that FWD + LSD + winter tires is pretty great in the snow, at least until it's deep enough to high side on. I also like snaller diameter wheels and extra sidewall for peak pothole season.

The GTI's ground clearance isn't bad at 5", but if the snow's too deep for it, I've got the CX-5 and it's extra 3.5" of ground clearance for that.

How's the turbo lag? How well does it pick up off-boost pulling away from a stop? How much feel and direct connection do you get through the pedals and steering? (ie, is the clutch vague or can you feel it and be consistent with it?). I suddenly am considering a GTI in the future. I'm hopeless. The BMW isn't quite pushing all the right buttons, mainly in terms of suspension (it'd take more than springs or shocks to 'fix' to my liking) and connected feeling. Moving to an ///M would solve all of that, but $30k does tend to solve a lot of things...

A little research is showing me the MK7 GTI Performance Pack can be tracked with just brake pads and fluid, which is a biiiig plus. On the other hand I wonder how much fun I'd have with FWD on track, destructifying front tires at an alarming rate... but as a do-it-all car for $15k used it seems like a solid proposition. The PP cars have a proper LSD, which is a must must if I'm to consider anything FWD. And the non-defeatable ESC can be defeated via the aftermarket. The interior looks nice. The power and fuel economy both look strong, a real enticing combination especially with a tune. But then there's the weak clutch, making a DSG seem tempting instead, but then I've heard it doesn't behave the way a performance driver wants until you give the DSG itself a $600+ tune. No car is perfect, but all cars have too many compromises. I think mainly what I'm after is something comfy like my BMW but more nimble feeling and more track-worthy should the desire arise. What we need is a GTI shape with RWD and a NA V6. Basically a 350Z shooting brake with useful rear seats and 20lbs extra noise dampening material.

How quiet is it on the highway? My BMW is the first car I've had where you can have an easy conversation at 75, in person or on Bluetooth. I like that. And can I just put my BMW's seat in everything from now on?