Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TheBenior's GTI and Ducati Monster 696. Da Bears, dabears, dabears, dabears.

TheBenior's GTI and Ducati Monster 696. Da Bears, dabears, dabears, dabears.

2008 Mazdaspeed3:

AndrosSpecD02.jpg
    AndrosSpecD01.jpg

Mods: Corksport short ram intake and turbo inlet pipe, turbo-back exhaust, 3" top mount intercooler, TRZ rear motor and side transmission mounts, Cobb AccessPort reflash, Goodridge stainless brake lines, 18x8 Andros Spec D wheels with Potenza S-04s in the summer, 17x7 MSW Type 14 wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport tires in the winter. The power mods are good for 295 hp and 291 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.

Purchased new in 2008, now has a big 34k miles on it in spite of a few road trips. Owning another vehicle for most of the time I've owned it and living close to work have kept the mileage low. It's got great rolling acceleration, isn't the greatest from a drag (like most overpowered FWD cars), and definitely has torque steer, has mediocre fuel economy, and the mechanical LSD has been invaluable in the winter.

When I mounted my winter wheels last year, I found that the right rear shock as leaking again. The original rear shocks were replaced under warranty at 13k, and the replacements lasted about 20k before the aforementioned leak was found. Since the Mazdaspeed3 has different valving than the regular Mazda3, my strut/shock options include factory (crap), Bilstein, Koni, and various coil-overs. I have enough ground clearance and front end scraping issues at the stock ride height, so coil-overs are out, which left me debating Bilsteins or Konis for a while. Lo and behold, Shox.com has a 25% off Koni coupon code, so Koni yellows were ordered tonight.

1978 Suzuki GS550:

FirstRide2013.jpgGauges.jpg

Purchased in late 2012 with 13k original miles, now it has 14k on it. It's listed as having 49hp @9000rpm, making it supposedly good for a 13.7 1/4mi and a 112mph top speed.

Mods/maintenance: Bridgestone S11 Spitfire tires in the metric equivalent to the factory size, leaky fork seals replaced and factory springs replaced with Progressive springs, and dangerously dim sealed beam headlamp replaced with halogen Indian copy of a Cibie. I'm quite satisfied with the Progressive springs, which have made the bike handle better and in an unexpected bonus, also lowered my front end by ~1", making flat-footing easier.

Future plans: The intake pipes and o-rings, and carb seals could probably all stand to be replaced. I have the parts, but haven't gotten around to getting them put in. I'm getting atrocious fuel economy (25mpg city), so something's not running right. I paid to have my carbs looked at right after I got the bike, but I can't say that I'm entirely satisfied with the results. My intake air box boots could stand to be replaced, but they're no longer in production, which means that I may have to go with pod filters if I want good sealing, and that means I'd probably have to get the bike dyno tuned if I want it running properly. Front brake lines should be replaced, and probably with stainless lines since the factory single disc front braking system needs all the help it can get. I'd also like to replace the rear shock/springs and get the seat recovered. Hopefully, I get a house with a garage this year so that I can do more work myself.
    Last edited by TheBenior; October 22nd, 2014 at 03:07 AM.

Definitely go with stainless steel brake lines, new fluid and fresh/different drum brake pads if you've got a choice.

Also, bar-end mirrors & Clubman bars. #hooligan

Ah yes, those are on the list too. Along with a better regulator/rectifier. Except my uncool bars and mirrors make for safe, effective city riding implements, so those stay.

Bar-ends or bust for me.

Or perhaps Bar ends = bust(ed). Who knows.

Koni.jpg

Picked up my suspension bits today, still waiting on Ground Control bump stops. I could install the struts using front bump stops that came with the KYB strut boots, but I'd still be lacking the rear bump stops for the shocks, and I have no plans to reuse nearly 6 year old rubber if I'm going through the trouble of taking them apart.

I remember when I got Koni Sports for my Sentra, the boxes were pretty beat up. This set came straight from Koni NA with only slightly less beat-up boxes, so I guess Koni doesn't care if struts/shocks end up slightly protruding from the packaging during shipping.

ROFL! I've never gotten an intact box from them either. The suspension for the Fiero was drop-shipped from Koni and they were all beat up.

Thinking about it, I don't recall ever buying shocks that weren't Koni. Maybe that's how they all come.

The boxes for the KYBs I got for the Camry showed up mangled, as well.
    Whoomah!

The chance of shock boxes not being mangle is slim to none from my experience.

Costs too much to fix vs how much customers care?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Picked up the Suzuki from my buddy whose garage I stored it in the past two years, hopefully for the last time since I'll soon have a garage of my own.