Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TheBenior's GTI and Ducati Monster 696. Da Bears, dabears, dabears, dabears.

I updated the firmware as soon as I unpacked it.

Haven't tried the configuration app yet, though I've found some humor in the 1-star reviews by idiots who couldn't be bothered to read that it's not compatible with their older Bluetooth 3.x SMH devices.

My Monster 696 now has a 4" taller dark smoke tinted Puig Racing windscreen. I haven't gotten to do any long rides on it, but it seemed to reduce wind on my chest in what limited riding I've done this year.

Puig04.jpgPuig05.jpgPuig06.jpg

The Mazdaspeed3 was giving me some trouble shifting, which was apparently due to the brakes being worn, and the brake and clutch system sharing the same fluid reservoir. The pads still had 30-40% thickness, but the rotors were worn to the minimum allowed thickness. I replaced them with Centric/Stoptech street pads, slotted front rotors, and 'high carbon' rear rotors.

Slotted.jpg

In more exciting news, I had my smoking factory K04 turbo replaced with a Corksport replacement K04 built to higher specs. In addition to the leaking seals, the factory turbo had a bit more play in the shaft than it should've. Driving home, I peaked at 20 psi, which is 2 higher than my Cobb AccessPort V3's stage 2 off-the-shelf-map targets (which doesn't account for my thicker intercooler or the turbo, of course). Power delivery also seemed a bit smoother, but that could be in my head. When I bought the Cobb AccessPort V3, I didn't realize that Cobb no longer gives a free copy of their consumer focused Accesstuner Race software. Now they make you take a $150 online course from some third party company on top fo $500-650 for the AP V3 (Mazda AP V3 are $650). They claim it was due to fear of the EPA (not entirely unwarranted due to Harley Davidson settling with them over their engine tuners), but the main effect seems to be screwing over small tuners who couldn't/wouldn't pay for the Cobb Accesstuner Pro licensing fees. My mechanic gave Corksport a call about their "plug and play" 3.5 bar MAP sensor which requires changing some values, and they seemed to be of the same opinion.

TurboOldandNew.jpg

Speaking of shifting, I got a Corksport Short Shift plate, which offers a claimed 20-32% throw reduction. I picked the 20% setting since the instructions mentioned some cars having possible difficulty shifting into 2nd gear in the higher reduction setting. Even at 20%, the throw reduction is noticeable.

Also, VW 1.9 TDI turbos are super kawaii!

IMG_20170406_124540.jpg

That's in my hand. My hands are size smedium.

So what's the next step? Unclear as to what you're going to do -- switch over to the Corksport setup? I'd think you're now at "custom tune time".

Great work! Looking forward to hearing about the new power at the wheels!

I was planning on a custom tune from the beginning, I just didn't know that Cobb had amped up their dickishness as of late. Had I known, I would've bought the Versatuner software and saved $250.

My mechanic is going to look into what it costs to get the Cobb Accestuner Pro software. They just started selling APs for the Mk 7 VW GTI, and there is the potential Ford ST market (I see plenty of them around Chicago). If it's not worth it for him, I'll have to contact one of the tuning shops in the area that sell Cobb products. If they don't do it, I'll have to go with a remote tune where I send data logs to a company who make a tune and email it to me. A company called Freektune does this for $250.

At least we have those options today instead of mailing EPROMs around!

Hell, there are still places that you mail your Ducati ECU to for a reflash.

KHAAAAAAAN!

My Mazdaspeed3 is either leaking or consuming coolant. Not sure when I'll get a chance to determine if it's something simple like the coolant line not being tightened all the way or if everything is going to have to come off again.

But you gots boost amirite?? #whysoserious

Could always throw a little dye in there and wait.

The turbo was actually weeping oil from one of the banjo bolts. Guess I was just used to smelling oil/coolant mixture on high mileage Crown Vic's

The shop that did the work torqued it sightly higher than the instructions suggested, and it's been fine ever since.

However, a month later, a coolant reservoir return hose popped out of the fitting securing it above the radiator, then bounced into the cooling fan and got sliced, showering my engine bay with coolant. Thankfully, I was a few blocks from my house when it happened.

One OE Mazda hose later, I was good to go. Or so I thought. I also picked up a screw with one of my tires on that hose slicing trip, which flattened my tire in the week my car was out of commission. I plugged that with a plug kit, which is holding air nicely.