Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: TheBenior's GTI and Ducati Monster 696. Da Bears, dabears, dabears, dabears.

This week I learned that ice forming by the base of the windshield/firewall can cause the SOUNDAKTOR to make more of a buzzing sound than a faux intake sound.

Can you simply unplug that thing is is there more to it?

Unplugging it throws a fault code, because VW.

It can be turned off with the Ross-Tech VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) or OBDeleven PRO software, but then I'd lose my fake intake noise. The VCDS is more expensive, but I'm leaving towards that because ROSS-TECH!

I should get one of them so I can play around with all the weird VW functions that we don't get here. Like say, lowering all windows at once with the remote, which VWs used to have here but no longer do.

I miss being able to roll windows down with the fob.

A sample of possible VCDS tweaks:

-Fuel used since last fill-up
    -Set fog lights instead of headlights as coming/leaving home illumination
    -Display battery usage/state of charge level
    -Automatic rain window closing
    -Alarm beep on lock/unlock
    -Hot climate AC mode

I took advantage of a Costco sale on Michelin tires a few weeks back and ordered a set of Pilot Sport 4S max performance summer tires to replace the lightly used OE Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS all-season grand touring tires. I plan to sell the OE tires.

The Pilot Sport 4S has been the true street tire (as opposed to the more competition focused Pilot Sport Cup 2) to beat for the last few years, and is one of the OE options on Porsche 911s, C8 Corvettes, and some other performance cars, yet somehow still has a 30k mile treadwear warranty.

However, it's still dropping to around freezing here at night when I do my commuting, so it'll be a couple weeks before I mount them.

IMG_20200301_162845.jpg

I also learned that a GTI can fit 2 full sets of wheels in the back.

image-20200301_154650.jpg

Sold my tires yesterday, changed the oil today. Only 4679 miles on the oil vs the 10k interval, but the car gave the 1 year lol change due alert. I'll be sending it off to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis to see how much life was left and if there's anything odd that might be engine break-in related.

IMG_20200308_171946.jpg

Plastic engine cover removal required?

Removal made it easier to get the filter housing off. The cover just pops off; no bolts or clips to mess with.

I may try using my oil extractor next time since that would preclude lifting the car. I use it for oil changes on my lawn mower and snow thrower and it conveniently has the same 6 quart oil capacity as the GTI.

Over the last week:

-I finally mounted the GTI's new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The car unsurprisingly handles much better at highway speeds compared to with the Continental Winter Contact SI tires. The PS4S also seem pretty quiet for the performance that they offer; possibly quieter than the stock all-season Bridgestone RE97AS.

-I changed the CX-5's oil. I used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy and a Mobil1 filter instead of the Mazda OE items since the oil was on sale at Costco. Shortly afterwards, I learned that Walmart has 12 qt cases for the same price per quart as Costco when they're running a sale (~$6/qt). I really need to get a different oil filter wrench. The one I have slips off of the filter when you put a socket wrench or extension in it, and doesn't grip all that tightly at the best of times. Naturally, I got it from a Mazda dealer when I was ordering oil and filters. I'm thinking about doing a drain and fill of the ATF since I'm out of the warranty period and I don't really buy into the idea of 'lifetime' fluids.

-I bled the brakes on the Ducati Monster 696. I've been doing that way too often over the last few years, which makes me wonder if there's a leak in the system. However, I don't see any leaks, judging by the lack of anything being eaten away by brake fluid or fluid spots where I park all the time. I then went for my first ride of the year and topped off the gas tank.