Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to buy a Netflix account for someone else?

Best way to buy a Netflix account for someone else?

I can't get to Netflix.com from work, and being the impatient sort I am, I thought I'd ask here in addition to looking it up on their site when I get home.

Has anyone here ever bought Netflix service for someone else? I'm wondering what is the best way to do it. I'd like for my parents to be able to log in and watch Netflix whenever they want but never to see a bill. I've seen Netflix gift cards for sale in grocery stores but I don't want them to have to bother with typing in card numbers and whatever else goes along with that every month, or whenever they've used up one gift card and need to start another one. I'd just like them to be able to turn on their newly discovered* smart TV, select Netflix, and start binge-watching, while the bill comes to me every month to pay.

Can I just give Netflix my parents' email address for login purposes but have the bill sent to my email address? Seems like that would work but often when I try stuff like that these days I end up going in circles and ending up in a hellish four-hour wait on the telephone in hopeless desperation for a human halfway 'round the world to pick up the phone so we can get busy not understanding each other.

Thanks for any recommendations.

*In case you guys think I'm clueless about some tech stuff (and I am!), my parents have had a 60" HDTV for a couple of years now but just recently realized it can connect to their wi-fi and get Netflix and other stuff from the internet. We no longer live nearby so I can't just drive over there and get everything set up for them.

Administrator
    It all depends on how Netflix organize their user database, but I'd bet the email address is the primary key and they don't offer that. Any reason you can't just have them put in your email address to login?

From a quick check on the website, I don't see a way to have a different email for contact than login. You'll either need to have them login with your email, or create an email specifically for their Netflix account that you will monitor but is easy for them to remember/use.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    I’d just give them your login details, easiest way.

I’ve ‘gifted’ Netflix to two other people in exchange for Spotify and pay TV logins

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Same as Mick. Do you not have the option to pay for adding extra 'screens' to your account?
    acket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    From a quick check on the website, I don't see a way to have a different email for contact than login. You'll either need to have them login with your email, or create an email specifically for their Netflix account that you will monitor but is easy for them to remember/use.
    That's a better idea. I do the same thing with all of our music - I have a gmail account that's basically there to house all of our streaming music but does basically nothing else, and set up all of our devices to sync with it.

Thanks all. I probably didn't need to take up your time with this but I wondered if I was missing something. I guess not. I gave them our login info for now to see if they even like it, but if they're on, we can't be at the same time. Like many things, more money will cure that problem.

Billing email doesn't mean they have to pay it. If you want them to use their own email, just set it up using that, and use autopay via your own account (I use Paypal, but you could probably do it with a card). I never get a bill or invoice or anything regarding billing from Netflx, only from paypal (which would use your email).

Alternatively, you can set up different viewers on your account. Create a new viewer or user, whatever they call it. Give them your login details, then whenever they login, they can choose their "user". You'll want to have at least 2 screens enabled of course.

That's a good point, I use auto-pay so I don't actually get a bill from Netflix. I still get advertisement emails about new/suggested programming, or upcoming changes to the account/billing, but that's it.

Netflix may as well be the IRS. Every so often money disappears from my account but neither of us mention it.