Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sony's Ultra Short Throw 4K Projector

That Ultra Short Throw LG has me really intrigued. Like Kieth said, too bad it isn't 4K but I may not care.

Seems like it would be perfect in my basement/mancave/gymnastics auditorium.

Not to be left behind, industry heavyweight Epson just unveiled its own thoroughbred. The company is touting the new Home Cinema LS100 as an "ultra short-throw" laser display. What that essentially means is you can park it just inches away from a wall, and it will still light it up with a 120-inch, full HD picture.

The LS100 is a seriously bright system that boasts 4,000 lumens of colour and whiteness. Its 2,500,000:1 contrast ratio also results in deep blacks and a vivid palette of colors, apparently.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/06/...100-projector/

Though... I don't know if I'd want to pay that price for a 1080p picture at this point. Considering the lifespan of a laser projector. It might look a bit outdated in a few years.
    Last edited by 21Kid; September 6th, 2017 at 08:08 AM.

I share those feelings, but as Jason said when he showed it to me earlier, competition in the space!
    Get that weak shit off my track

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...s/apd/210-amtg

4K? Check.
    Laser projector? Check.
    Ultra-short throw? Check. (4" = 100" screen, 9" = 130" screen)
    HDR? Check.
    4 figure price? CHECK! ($5,999)

Getting close! Less than 5 years and it'll be less than 2 grand, fingers crossed.

Sounds good!!! Projector prices unfortunately don't come down like other electronics. It may not come down to that level by then. But, I'd gladly buy one if the picture quality is good.

edit: LOL - it's $4500 right now. Probably due to Black Friday shopping. I'd like to see reviews on it first.

Just looked up the specs...

It also only uses HDMI 2.0, which doesn't support HDR. You need 2.0a for HDR.

This sounds really BAD... Contrast Ratio - Native: 2,000:1 Typical (Full On/Full Off)
    I'm not sure what this means... Max: 100,000:1 High Contrast Mode.

But, if it can only do 2000 Natively, and use some kind of magic to get to 100k, I do not think that would give a very good picture.

Dell's own $300 projector does 10k contrast... And for comparison, the Epson 5040ub (which is on my Amazon wishlist) does 1,000,000:1 contrast.

I thought laser projectors had really good contrast? That number, even the max one, seems oddly low.

So it supports HDR, but not existing TV standard HDR :-/

Dell HDR projectors require HDR10 enabled content from a compatible source like your service provider, a Blu-ray disc or a game Dell’s HDR feature has been designed with a PC user in mind and supports specifications that are different from existing TV standards for HDR.
    I don't know about the contrast numbers, maybe they're measured or produced differently for "business" projectors. I'm honestly shocked there isn't a review up anywhere yet. That live video above is the only one I've found.

their only complaint: no smart function/apps
    That's a non-issue for anyone with a console, Roku, ...

Everything sounds so exciting, but the image in the video looks terribly washed out under well-lit conditions and still-not-good in poorly lit settings. Hoping it's much better in person (though OLED are so good if you don't gain any benefits with the huge size)