Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage? WAT DAT? 454 content within.

Gas mileage? WAT? 454 content within.

I scooped this up from my neighbor today, for literally no reason other than I think it's cool as hell.

It's a 1986 3/4 ton C20 Suburban, with a 454 and TH400. I've been eyeing the thing up literally since the day my neighbor brought it home. He's put some work into it and it now runs and drives really nice. It had a choke issue that I fixed when we got to his storage place to retrieve the third seat. Otherwise, runs great.

Sweet CA license plates to go with the blue ones I have from the Datsun.

Interior is a lot rougher than the exterior.

But it's got the best windows known to man:

It was the tow vehicle for my neighbor's SCCA cars:

The 454 breathes it's hydrocarbons and other planet killers through Summit headers, straight pipes, and what I believe are Flowmaster mufflers. It sounds like a proper redneck mating call at idle:

This is the difference between Sweden and 'MURRICA!

It's got a few minor foibles. I don't buy problem-free cars after all. Sun damage to the interior, dead radio, and needs a headliner. On the flip side, new shocks, brakes, tires, working front AND rear AC, rebuilt carb, and all of the power windows work.

I can't wait for the warmer weather, when I'll be driving it and seeing what kind of MPG I get
    Last edited by Yeti; March 2nd, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

Must be truck season.

Oh god damn I hate you, that's like a dream racecar hauler for me!

If I decide to sell it someday, you'll be the first to know

Man, that video reminds me of bringing home my first '87 'burban. It had an exhaust on it too and I loved the way it sounded. The diesel '84 will never give quite that same thrill, which is too bad. OTOH, the diesel really dissuades people from getting too close for fear they'll be stuck next to it at a light.

Your truck looks to be in EXCELLENT condition for its age, so congrats on that. I really think the '80 Suburbans were the best - a solid prehistoric design with just a touch of people-pleasing amenities. There's no doubt it's a truck, but it's plenty comfy for doing everything in.

I hate having looked at this thread. Now I need to go bust out my spreadsheet and see exactly how much dosh it'd take to pry death's icy grip from mine. Dammit.

It is in nice shape, something WI-native Suburbans never seem to manage.

I'll be even happier when it warms up and the salt rinses away and I can wash and drive the thing.

Awesome that it still has the California Sunshine plates on it. Had my truck not spent two years in Nevada, it'd be rockin' the commemorative 1984 Los Angeles Olympics plates... only available to MY1984 vehicles. *sigh*

Doors instead of tailgate.
    Whoomah!

I go back and forth on that all the time. There are some great aspects of the tailgate, including rearward visibility, tailgating, easily loading things longer than the length of the interior, and sitting/driving with the rear window down. OTOH, it takes a lot less time to open the barn doors than to lower the tailgate since that entails lowering the window). I think SUVs moved away from barn doors for a reason, but I sometimes miss having them. Seriously, not having to lower the window to gain access to back is pretty damned awesome.

If anything, I think I'll like the barn doors just because I don't have to open both of them, or mess with a heavier tailgate, when I want to toss something smaller into the back.