Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage? WAT DAT? 454 content within.

What is it supposed to do, exactly? Make the incoming charge extra EXTRA clean?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've been told that it's to prevent the paper element from catching fire in the even of backfire.
    I'm not sure I buy that, but god knows.
    -Formerly Stabulator

lol.

Well, I guess I'll leave it.

I realized as I was getting the choke to actually open that the previous owner of this thing drove it around for two years with the choke plate only opening as far as the pulloff would take it. I wonder how that went for him.

I also noticed that the headers vs. plug wires solution involves zip ties holding the ends of the wires away from the headers *facepalm*. Time to get some angled ones.
    Last edited by Yeti; March 4th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

The ziptie plugwire holders are standard operating procedure on these things.
    I've seen it on so many I pretty much assume it's the stock configuration nowadays.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Welp, it was inevitable.

Fluid leaking out of my right-rear brake drum. I thought it might be gear oil at first, but I'm 99% certain that it's brake fluid. Leaking wheel cylinder I'd guess. In any case, I've got zero interest in pulling apart a GM 10.5" FF 14-bolt, so I'm going to farm this one out.
    Last edited by Yeti; April 5th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Yeah, I'd stay away from that too!

wtf. Now more than ever, give it to me!

It's cool that it's got the heaviest-duty full-floating axle GM was putting in their pickups and Suburbans at the time.

It's not so cool that getting the drum off would require that much work and messy gear oil puddles

I'd happily hand that off to somebody else, and I find rebuilding drum brakes relaxing.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Still catching up, don't mind me... but I assume those are just as rare in nice shape there as they are here. Nice score.

And yeah, you need a black plate. I've got one in rough shape I can send you. And tsg, if you know of any of those '84 Olympic plates, I would desperately like one.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid