Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Golf.

Sounds like a few of the unit golf events we had when I was in the Marines. You haven't really played until you have seen a grown man urinate on his lie. Relief, *ahem*.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Since I had to go to pre-Trump times to get this thread, I reckon we don't have a lot of players here? I am picking up the sticks for the first time in seven years this season.

I joined the VGA Tour (Veteran Golfers Association) to keep myself motivated. They play a lot of good courses for reasonable fees.

Not buying a ton of new equipment, the clubs are not the reason I am bad. I reconfigured my bag, went from 3w, 5w, 21T, 3i to a 4w, 20h, 27h setup. I never liked the idea of hybrid irons but I am getting too old to stand on principle so I am giving them a go.
    Awww, yeah!

Broke 100 today for the first time ever with a +24 round for 94, still using mostly 21-year-old clubs. The irons are that old, anyway. Did spring for a new(ish) putter. It took a few months, a bunch of lessons, and 19 rounds of golf but I did it.

Now I just need to do it again and again. My handicap index is 31.9 and I'd love to get it down to 28 by the end of the season.

As soon as it starts to cool off here, I'm gonna try to get out again!
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Broke 100 today for the first time ever with a +24 round for 94, still using mostly 21-year-old clubs. The irons are that old, anyway. Did spring for a new(ish) putter. It took a few months, a bunch of lessons, and 19 rounds of golf but I did it.
    Congratulations! Now you should try an 18-hole course.

No, just kidding, obviously...that's quite an achievement.

I had been playing with my son in 2018 - 2019 on a Par 3 9-hole course but then he outgrew the clubs that we got from our neighbors across the street who have a boy a few years older. We didn't play at all in 2020. He's probably tall enough now to use an old set that was my grandfather's. It's the same set I used when I was a teenager.

I don't know how old they are but the woods are made of wood - not the shafts, but the heads, anyway. The irons don't look any different the irons do today. They aren't anything special, except for the canvas walking bag on which my grandfather stenciled his (and our) last name. There's also a small hole where a mouse chewed through the bag decades ago, before it came into my possession.

I don't like golf enough to pursue it on my own, but being able to play at some level and knowing the rules and the etiquette may come in handy for him someday. It was something my father taught me and his father taught him and so on.

I have my grandfather's clubs in an old bag of his. I keep them around for sentimental reasons, particularly the bag.
    Those canvas bags are neat.