Thread: SPEED Shutting down, becoming FOX SPORTS 1?

SPEED Shutting down, becoming FOX SPORTS 1?

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon
    So I finally hooked up a digital box to my wife's TV, and they're still showing the fake SPEED in this area.
    Usually the reality shows I never watched. Some touring car racing, etc, but when my wife's watching her channels. Saw a bit of a Barrett-Jackson the other day. One with a large model train which sold for $150,000.

One thing they do do is keep plugging speed2.com. But, as everyone has said, you can't get it in Canada. I'm not sure if they're hoping some Canadian cable providers will sign up, or just trying to annoy us.

Oh well, I went to speed2.com determining that, and, to be fair, they do direct you to some nice footage on Youtube.

Discovered how much fun a real computer hooked to my large (not so large; small living room with two TVs) TV can be.

So many in-car laps of the Nordschleife that it's difficult to find the same one I spent time watching last night!
    Well, sometime in the last few days they finally shut the SPEED channel down entirely. Went there on my wife's TV last weekend and there was nothing but a screen saying SPEED was no longer available.

They changed on my cable system a few months ago, I'd guess.

Too bad. There are already tons of channels about sports. SPEED...oh, wait, I mean SPEED was fun. I always liked the classic car shows, the guy with the huge handlebar moustache, and I remember being sick in bed for a couple days a few years back and watching the Barrett-Jackson auction. Fun, if you're stuck watching daytime TV. I also liked the "shop" shoes like Stacy David and similar shows where they'd rebuild cars, but without all the drama and scripted foolishness that comes with shows like Pimp My Ride, Unique Whips, etc.

Never understood those shows and their overly dramatic deadlines. Why restore/rebuilt/customize a car as fast as humanly possible? Don't they want their work to last longer than one episode? I guess not - it's all about selling advertising.

Check out Velocity (it's a Discovery Channel off-shoot). All the good non-racing stuff from SPEED is on there. Motorweek, Chasing Classic Cars, My Classic Car (I think), Wheeler Dealers (Wasn't on SPEED, but great show from Britain about two guys that buy a beat up classic/memorable car, restore it a bit and sell it), etc.

Check out Velocity (it's a Discovery Channel off-shoot). All the good non-racing stuff from SPEED is on there. Motorweek, Chasing Classic Cars, My Classic Car (I think), Wheeler Dealers (Wasn't on SPEED, but great show from Britain about two guys that buy a beat up classic/memorable car, restore it a bit and sell it), Auction Shows, etc. I think there are a couple shop shows on Spike as well.

Last year I watched all the videos for My Classic Car. This year they've changed from their old hosting method to Youtube, but I might watch them there anyway. I've already watched the first two. I must say Dennis seems to be losing his enthusiasm somewhat, and some of the newer shows are beginning to seem somewhat perfunctory.

MAVTV is the new SPEED. Unfortunately, no one has it. And it's non-existent in Canada.

So, I will continue to illegally download V8 Supercars, DTM and BTCC. And now, I guess, Camping World Trucks too.

The way I see it if you can't access the content legally then they can't complain about you acquiring it illegally.