Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Dogs

Watch Dogs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...elf-from-gta-5

Sounds pretty great, not just because you get more tools for interacting with NPCs and evading cops, but also the crazy potential freedom in missions.

Thankfully, missions in Watch Dogs play out similarly to those in a Hitman game, as they encourage experimentation and multiple routes to success. Using Aiden’s unique hacking abilities, I decided to try to complete the mission without ever even entering the building. This started with a quick hack of a security camera. From there, I could hop from camera to camera around the entire ring of the building. This sensation of swapping viewpoints felt incredibly similar to the great iOS game Republique. Eventually I found the phone I needed to hack and did so remotely. With the first bit of info in hand, I decided to start causing some mayhem.

I spotted a fuse box that I could remotely detonate at the touch of a button. I waited for a guard to walk by and took him out in a massive explosion of sparks and smoke. His partners quickly rushed over to see what happened, which was when I spotted a specific guard whose cell phone camera was hackable. I jumped from the security camera to his phone, and once he resumed patrol, I was able to have a mobile first person view of the entire the compound. After a bit of waiting, the guard entered the room where the computer node was housed, and I jumped from the phone to the computer. The final step in this cyber invasion consisted of completing a series of hacking puzzles where I had to manipulate the intersections of a maze so that an energy wave could make its way from point A to point B. Though the concept was simple, it was just tricky enough to really pique my interest. And with that, I completed the mission without ever even entering the building in the first place. It’s a new definition of stealth, and one that I can’t wait to continue playing around with on May 27.
    Here's another writer that went through the same level: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/06/wa...=rss_truncated

Utilizing a lure device that distracts one guard, I sneak up behind him and take him out with a quick button press. I move slowly through a parking garage, carefully taking guards out one at a time. Suddenly I'm spotted and the remaining guards immediately know my location, an issue with AI awareness that came up often during the demo and one I hope can be tweaked before launch. Once I've infiltrated the area and get to the computer system the guards are alerted to the presence of an intruder. I bang my head against this moment for a few attempts, engaging in firefights – and dying often – before finally escaping to the street where the police pursue me. As I drive down the busy streets of Chicago, I employ the use of my super-powered cell phone to tweak traffic lights, giving me the ability to control the flow of civilian movement. With a single police car in pursuit, I hack a barricade in the middle of the street as I pass the intersection, which raises bollards from the ground causing the cop car to crash spectacularly. It's only later that I realized I could have simply engaged a craftable item I unlocked in my skill tree: The ability to power down an entire city grid. Using this method, I could have blacked out the building and strolled out without ever being detected, completely bypassing the firefight.
    That article also has more details about the world outside of missions

The world is riddled with distractions. There are gang hideouts for Pearce to clear, specific NPCs that he can target for assassination or information, and even AR Games that project mobile-game graphics into the world. One AR Game I stumbled across places 8-bit gold coins and skulls in the world, and it scored me based on my quickness to collect one while avoiding the other. There are drinking games, card games, multiple ways to spy on people outside of simply hacking their phone. One random encounter allowed me to tap into a building from a outlet box outside, giving me access to a camera tracking two women as they exercised in their living room.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 6th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I am excited about this game, but a little cautious. I don't much like Ubisoft as a company, and while their games tend to get rave reviews, for whatever reason I don't tend to like them. I think the last Ubi game I genuinely enjoyed was Oni! I'll wait for it to come out before doing anything, but I have been following the news... the concept is definitely intriguing!

Sounds good.

I am on the wait and see side because I would be getting it for Wii U, which will get the least attention/investment.

The multiplayer (so far all they've shown is another player being in your world and being able to watch/hack you) is optional.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/10/op...=rss_truncated

the new PS4 commercial for this game makes it look like GTA with computer hacking..

In many ways it is, but the hacking is often just hitting/holding some buttons and can open up a lot of possibilities.

Explosions are exciting. You can play the game more like Deus Ex as well, where you can accomplish certain tasks without hurting anyone.
    But, watching someone hack a PC to get access to an area and go undetected isn't as exciting for a commercial.

Microsoftstore.com has a sweet deal where if you pre-order, you get release day delivery and $15 MS credit. However, they don't seem to want to take my money. I keep getting errors when processing the orders. Whether I use Firefox, IE, or different cards, it doesn't go through. I've only ever had this problem with MS. Fucking annoying. I'll try again later, but if it doesn't work looks like I'll be waiting for Watch Dogs. I have enough shit to play anyway.