Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch Dogs

Yeah, I played about an hour and a half last night. If the first mission is a good indication of the story, it'll be a lot of fun.

I found the hideout and did a couple of missions where you hack a potential crime location and stop it. I also did a mission where you have to transport cars back to back for someone in a certain amount of time. Tip: unlock the shortcut hack so you can cut through garages and find quicker routes on those missions

Maybe I'm not fully used to the controller, but the driving physics are pretty awful. And the trigger vibrators didn't seem to work consistently. I thought they vibrated when I lost traction, but I still felt extremely disconnected from the road. May just take more time getting used to.

Administrator
    I've heard from many sources that the driving is pretty awful. I found it pretty unpleasant when doing the "find your hideout" thing, though that probably has something to do with the fact that I ran into a sign and next thing I know, I'm trying to escape from the cops with all four tires gone. I figure it's one of those driving physics models that I'll get used to, ala Saints Row and GTA, but for now it feels wrong and weird.

PC version isn't that well optimized from all reports. People running titans can't get it to stay above 60 fps on near max setting at 1080p.

Administrator
    I'm hearing that might be due to the Uplay issues that the game hitches waiting for a response from Uplay when doing the multiplayer stuff. It's why I'm also hearing that the pirated version, which doesn't connect to Uplay, apparently runs great.

Administrator
    The driving is becoming easier to me. Seems like the triggers on the controller have a massive deadzone starting at about 50%, so if you've pulled it halfway, it's essentially like stomping on the pedal. Really light touches and the cars actually behave themselves, for the most part.

I really hate the invasion-style multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I really hate the invasion-style multiplayer.
    Can't you deactivate it?

Administrator
    Yeah, you can. Just amazed at how incredibly irritating it was, so the next thing I did was turn it off. It was basically "Hey, you're having fun? Got something you're doing? Too fucking bad, now you're doing this!"

Administrator
    Getting a little annoyed too and the random instant deaths. I just got about halfway through a story mission, right as I'd cleared one goal and my character was mumbling to himself about the next one. I was in a car slowly rolling, and as soon as my character was done talking, the car exploded. No reason that I could see, it just exploded. That's not the first time.

I am still having fun though. Just started hacking various ctOS towers, some of those are interesting puzzles.

That would be frustrating and hilarious.

Kinda like real life.

There was one "potential crime" activity I did where I pulled the gun out on the suspect and then started chasing him. Then he called for back up. I did an "in-cover" takedown where I slid across a car and decked him out. But I kind of got stuck on a bunch of parked cars parked close to a building. 8 guys show up, guns blazing. One throws a grenade and I wasn't agile enough to get out of the way in time. Instantly wasted. I was kind of mad because it escalated quicker than I expected. But at the same time it was kind of neat. It gave me a loading screen and I spawned back in at what I'm pretty sure is a location nearby.

I've been meaning to say this and I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but this game is really fun if you want to play it like Assassin's Creed. Which is an obvious connection. Between the ctOS towers (a la viewpoints in AC that give you the points of interest), activities and collectibles, it has a very similar addictive style.

Not going to lie though, the driving physics just kill it a LOT for me. They are just that bad. The steering has this weird progressive turn in and drives me up the fucking wall. I was accessing a ctOS tower and you had to drive up this winding dirt road with rock on each side. I hit all the things on the way up.
    And there's something else about the game that is quite striking on occasion, and that's how the game looks when it's day time (in game, of course). I can't put my finger on it, but between the textures and lighting it seems ultra bland. I feel like it was meant to be played when the game clock is at night.

I don't know. I haven't played it in a while, and I'm getting the itch. But I think I rather finish Tomb Raider first.