Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 1995 BMW M3

Godson - 1995 BMW M3

I guess I never made a thread. Well I suppose I'll start it with a boring a short first post.

Anyone ever rebuild a brake caliper?

Quicker and easier to just buy a pair from a recycler.

but. yes. When I was a mechanic. And when I was a poor "fresh off the boat" student driving an old BMW.

It's not rocket science.

What he said. Not awful to rebuild, but given the option I'd always buy a different caliper than rebuild an old one. *Generally* speaking it's just a seal or two, but if there is one of the bellows type dust boots, they can be a real pain. Sometimes you need to get creative to get them installed correctly. Make sure you examine the caliper bore with a careful eye, and remember clealiness is of the utmost performance. Use only brake fluid as a lubricant for installing seals. Also, be double cautious it if it has an integrated handbrake mechanism - they can be quite complex, way too much to deal with for my tastes.

Normally I'd go the route of buying new calipers, but the choices are 50ea for front or 300ea for front. I'll buy the seal kit and do it myself on all four for less than the cost of one. This way I don't run the risk of effed up brake lines, and down time is minimal.

Just curious if anyone had done it before here.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Godson; March 9th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Looked at the rotor on the side in question and it is blueing... I don't know if I should push it off till this weekend. Luckily I can ride where I need to for a majority of the week.

Fuck.

So that leaves me with replacing a rotor. I am of the mindset of if you do it to one, you should do it to both on brakes. I also do not like the Axxiss Ultimates as the compound is 'sticky' and would prefer the Hawk HP+

This is going to get expensive.

Fuck-ing fuck.

When it rains it pours...

Truth be told. I am going to pull the thing apart on wednesday, and see what damage is done. If it is just a sticking slide, I am going to clean it up and lube it up (just like she asked ) and put it back together and pray until I get a paycheck in July.

Then the whole fucking thing is getting gone through. I don't fuck around with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I also do not like the Axxiss Ultimates as the compound is 'sticky' and would prefer the Hawk HP+
    The HP+es squeal like a city bus, fair warning.

Personally, I liked the inital bite of the Ultimates--the HPSes I have now suck.
    Whoomah!

I am familiar with squeak on everything I own. I like the initial bite of the Ultimates, but even when I didn't have a caliper sticking they felt like they didn't 'release' from the rotor very well. I really liked my Ferodo DS2500s on the S2000, but they had a TON of initial bite which made pedal manipulation...interesting at times.

Friend has the Performance Friction Z-whatevers on his car and they take some heat before they begin to perform, and I don't really care for the properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I am of the mindset of if you do it to one, you should do it to both on brakes.
    I used to be of that mindset... then I ran out of money!