Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infiniti Q50 - Nissan GTR disguised as a mild-mannered saloon

Infiniti Q50 - Nissan GTR disguised as a mild-mannered saloon

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ge...ts-gt-r-engine

Infiniti has confirmed that its Q50 Eau Rouge concept uses the twin-turbocharged 3.8-litre V6 from the Nissan GT-R.

The Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge – which was unveiled in full at the Geneva motor show – is stated to have 568bhp and 442lb ft, which is sent to all four wheels via a seven-speed automatic transmission.

Infiniti claims the Eau Rouge is capable of sprinting from 0-62mph in less than four seconds. It's also reputed to have a top speed of 180mph.

Despite this announcement, there is no official word on production and the firm continues to call the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge concept a "high-performance" styling exercise.

Infiniti president Johan de Nysschen had previously said, "The engine we are evaluating for the Q50 Eau Rouge is a big personality, V-cylinder engine with forced induction. I think our engineers have been waiting for a project like this.”

Infiniti says the car exhibits its design vision for future high-performance models, with its looks being inspired by "muscularity, refinement, and understated performance intent".

The car also features heavily revised aerodynamics, which "draw inspiration" from the collaboration between Infiniti and the Infiniti Red Bull Racing F1 team.

Much of the exterior has been redesigned in order to optimise the car's aerodynamics. The Q50 Eau Rouge is lower and wider than the production car and features a carbonfibre front splitter, rear diffuser and side skirts.

The manufacturer claims that, as a result, only the roof and door profiles remain unchanged from the conventional production version of the Infiniti Q50.

Other upgrades include 21-inch lightweight forged alloy wheels and a dual-exit sports exhaust system, further hinting at the Q50's performance-orientated intentions. Both the roof and door mirrors are also formed from carbonfibre, reducing weight.

Infiniti's executive design director, Alfonso Albaisa, said, “The design has a number of distinctive Formula One-inspired touches. In particular, the sculpted front wing assembly and the rear aerodynamic packaging take their cues from the RB9 race car.”

Infiniti has also revealed plans to equip the Q50 with a 214bhp, 235lb ft 2.0-litre engine. The 1991cc engine will drive a 7-speed automatic transmission and will launch in the Chinese market in the spring before arriving in Europe in the autumn.

Read more Geneva motor show news.

hmmmm...... Must have added a lot of weight to an already heavy car to slow it down almost a second on the 0-60

Or changed the gearing...

HOW DARE YOU BRING LOGIC INTO THIS BASHING!!!!!!!

But that's another option too. I just saw a chance to call a heavy vehicle heavy....

Don't care if it is heavy, I'd consider buying this.

Oh no, it goes 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, HEAVY PIG.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I think the bigger issue is how they're going to sell a $100,000 Infiniti.

I've often thought the GTR is priced out of desire rather than need, so I could see the Q50 coming it at $70k-$80k and still being a money maker. It would be really attractive versus the 4matic and Quattro uber cars, and get Infiniti into that game for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Oh no, it goes 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, HEAVY PIG.
    when you have 550+ hp and 4wd...yeah...

Because of the CAFE standards that are coming up, this doesn't make a lot of sense to make a heavy car with shit gas mileage on a line-up that already doesn't do well in the CAFE ratings.

Make a wagon version of this and I'd be all over it.