Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: GT86

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    what's the readout to the right of the tach?
    All kinds of stuff.

On the left side of it, inside the center "dial", is a duplicate MPH readout, same as the old car had, and the fuel gauge which is now completely digital. Cruise control lights are also in there.

On the right side is various information screens that you can switch through with the steering wheel buttons.

First set that you can scroll through are instant MPG, average MPG, miles to empty, trip odometer, etc. Also three readouts for battery voltage, oil and water temperature.

Second set is performance screens, a G-Meter (slow), a "Dyno" readout which you see in the picture above (Hey, that power dip is still there...) with a line that moves based on throttle input, and a timer.

Third set is various options, including setting the rev light, startup screen, and reseting the fuel averages. I believe it also allows you to receive text messages although I have not tested this yet.

Odometer and outside temperature are always displayed at the bottom.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Same concept as the 9X1 series porsche gauge clusters which I really like.

Apart from the cosmetic stuff what comes on these? Brembos and wheels, changes to suspension? Anything in the exhaust or intake?

The intake on the manual 2017s is now metal instead of plastic (the Toyota-Subaru D4-S plate is gone), there are a lot of internal changes to the motor but I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head. Automatics keep the 2012-2016 motor.

Exhaust is unchanged however.

Oh, I thought they had a new exhaust manifold for the manuals.

The performance package (found on the Series Yellow, but available on the limited models) adds Brembos, 17" wheels, and upgrades Sachs dampers. Not sure if the yellow has anything on top of that.

Only things I don't like about the new model are the wing and the center console. I don't like the HVAC knobs/buttons, nor the gloss black surround. Just doesn't seem to fit. Other than that, it seems like a really nice little facelift.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; February 17th, 2017 at 04:17 PM.

Whatever the pros and cons of the facelifted model, he now has a Manual. That in itself is a massive upgrade.

Don't knock the automatic, it was good fun too.

Sorry brah, I have driven both and I would have never bought the auto unless I were physically unable to drive manual.

Congrats on the upgrade.

Looked at pretty much that same car yesterday with my friend whose first BRZ was ruined by a deer, hes hoping to get back into one this summer and was quite excited about the changes to the '17 but hes holding out to see if the '18's get a recaro option. That yellow is definitely very bright in person, pictures don't do it any justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Congrats on the upgrade.

Looked at pretty much that same car yesterday with my friend whose first BRZ was ruined by a deer, hes hoping to get back into one this summer and was quite excited about the changes to the '17 but hes holding out to see if the '18's get a recaro option. That yellow is definitely very bright in person, pictures don't do it any justice.
    It's so weird, I was standing there the other night holding my phone up to take a picture, and just looking at the phone and at the car it was amazing how much the picture dulled the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Oh, I thought they had a new exhaust manifold for the manuals.
    Engine changes for 2017:
    * Buffed and polished valve stems
    * Lower friction finish on the camshaft
    * Additional block stiffening
    * Aluminium intake manifold replaces the plastic manifold
    * Redesigned airbox and intake piping. This also means, annoyingly, the air filter size has changed.
    * Exhaust headers are now 2.3mm wider on the branches and 3.6mm wider at the dual pipe
    * Final gear ratio is now 4.300 versus 4.100

The performance package (found on the Series Yellow, but available on the limited models) adds Brembos, 17" wheels, and upgrades Sachs dampers. Not sure if the yellow has anything on top of that.
    The Performance Pack wheels are 17x7.5, versus the stock wheels being 17x7. The Series.Yellow wheels are black, all other Performance Pack cars have them in gray. And apparently the Brembos are the same units on the current WRX STI, just repainted red.

Only things I don't like about the new model are the wing and the center console. I don't like the HVAC knobs/buttons, nor the gloss black surround. Just doesn't seem to fit. Other than that, it seems like a really nice little facelift.
    The wing is a bit of a disappointment, the old one looked so much better, especially with the STI Gurney Flap attached. That said, the near rear wing is aluminium instead of plastic.

I personally love the new HVAC buttons, they look so much better than the cheap plastic on the old model. They match the rest of Subaru's lineup now as well, as everything else they make has metal/chrome HVAC controls. The Stereo/Nav is also the same as all other Subarus with the piano black surround, but the surround on the HVAC is all fake carbon fiber, which again looks better than the cheap plastic from before. It's also repeated around the door buttons.
    Last edited by The359; February 18th, 2017 at 08:56 AM.