Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: GT86

Thats pretty similar in concept to the screen in the Porsches. It's a good system but the stuff like the dyno plot is a gimmick, it'll just be based on rpm and another factor (probably airflow or tps). the two pages I use the most are temps and tyre pressures and then nav when actually using it (dash 3D and zoomed in for next turn, screen in dash zoomed out an an overview of route). The lap timer looks interesting though, any idea what else is needed to get that to work?

Personally my ideal dash these days would be a nice central Tacho which also contains a digital speedo and a programmable screen either side

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I was wondering that as well, how does the lap timer work? Built in GPS?

I assume this car wont have nav in the information screen though, it looks far too small.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Oddly enough, my car can give me my latitude and longitude, even though it doesn't have navigation.

"Doesn't have."

It's probably just a software change, with the GPS hardware already built in.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    It's a good system but the stuff like the dyno plot is a gimmick, it'll just be based on rpm and another factor (probably airflow or tps).
    I think it's just a graphic of the stock dyno plot, and then a dot/line that travels along it based on RPM alone. If you're not at full throttle, it's probably still showing the same image. That's how I interpret the fact that the line is already there above the bit that's been traveled already.

The lap timer looks interesting though, any idea what else is needed to get that to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by The359 View Post
    I was wondering that as well, how does the lap timer work? Built in GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Probably just a simple stopwatch with a "lap" feature like on most digital wrist watches. The bottom left looks to show a diagram of what buttons on the wheel to press for each task. I doubt it has anything to do with GPS.

Speaking of GPS, I just learned that the 2016 BRZ got a new headunit and no option of GPS. The 2017 uses the same head unit, so maybe no GPS still anyway? Not sure about the 86 proper, which I believe gets this dash in some spec (not in the US, I think).

By the way, the new engine is named FA20H and is only in the M/T. A/T still gets the FA20D.

I was referring to Jason's car giving him lat/long w/o navigation. Manually setting a reset location is possible, but more complex than just a stopwatch as you described.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Yup. And it's possible that Toyota/Subaru use a 'standard chipset' or something in all of their head units, or in many of their head units, regardless of screen size/navigation software. That was kind of the point of my post.

Is your phone connected to the car? It could easily be getting location from there.

It is, but I don't think its grabbing data from my phone. I'll test it with airplane mode on.