Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: GT86

Although that faux-Lexus grille is horrible.

I kinda like that car. Props for doing some unique things. I bet it's fun as hell.

-

I've driven a handful of these cars on the autox course, they're fun but for the most part they haven't wowed me. I drove one a couple weeks ago that wowed me. It seemed like just another STX car from the outside, but it was so well done that it was by far the best handling, most rewarding FRS/BRZ/GT86 I've driven. The funny thing was the young guy who built it claimed to not really know what he was doing, he just threw some parts on. Sometimes you get lucky. I told him I'd come to him for setup advice if these cars ever get cheap enough for me to buy.

I like the swap. Hate the body kit. It just looks like the stupid rocket bunny kit that someone screwed up the molds. The grill is ugly too, IMO, but I think it looks bad on Lexuses too.

Odd, I like the grill, it classes it up.

x2 I actually think the current Lexus styling is terrible, but oddly think it works really well on this 86.

Because I bumped into it here's a video of the MCA 86 doing laps at Lakeside (tight, dangerous, goat track kind of track)

https://youtu.be/fg8HJJgJ3OM

That thing shifts.

*turbo noises*

I went for a good 40 min drove last night after finding out that the tyre pressure in my rears was quite different from that in the fronts, and fixing it. What a pleasure!!

Spent a lot of the weekend racing, then motorkhana'ing (slaloms and figure 8s etc), then autocross around a racetrack in the 86.

Did pretty well overall, and won my class (naturally aspirated rear drive) in all three sporting disciplines.

However, as my 86 is the povo spec, with the small brakes, and I've been running Endless front pads in the car so that it stops, I've finally warped the front rotors. So heavy braking was difficult over the weekend.

I've done a few events in the car involving heavy braking (maybe three or four race day sort of things), and I'm murder on brakes. So it isn't too much of a surprise.

Rather than get new front rotors which I will no doubt just cook again, I've picked up a full set of the bigger GT model brakes (different discs and calipers front and rear, but weirdly, same brake pads so I can keep using my hot front pads) to go into the car before my next event in a couple of weeks. So it's still just OE brakes, merely the slightly larger OE brake option available in NZ.