Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: GT86

You should see the monster being built by one of my car club guys ... he bought a seriously smashed in the rear 86, stripped everything out of it, put a new back on it, sold the engine (and possibly gearbox).

He's putting a 3.5 V6 into it, and building the full "yay" spec tarmac rally car out of it.

Should be a bit of comedy, considering how completely insane he already is whilst competing in a 4age powered AE82 Corolla (GT16 I think you'd call it).

Nothing online about it sorry, he doesn't really do internet.

5k for the Turbo kit, figure another 1500 for custom tune, 800 or so for a good clutch and flywheel resurface. You are talking 8k plus for the job. That isn't taking into account if the trans and different can handle it.

If the Turbo is well thought, and a good tune, the engine should be no more stressed when driven normally as it would be stock. I'd be more interested in clamping forces around the cylinders running that power than I would be worried about the bottom end.

IMOA might be a little more in tune with his history of vehicles.

That huge V6 is surely going to ruin the balance? I know there's the Rocket Bunny V.86, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    5k for the Turbo kit, figure another 1500 for custom tune, 800 or so for a good clutch and flywheel resurface. You are talking 8k plus for the job. That isn't taking into account if the trans and different can handle it.

If the Turbo is well thought, and a good tune, the engine should be no more stressed when driven normally as it would be stock. I'd be more interested in clamping forces around the cylinders running that power than I would be worried about the bottom end.

IMOA might be a little more in tune with his history of vehicles.
    Yeah, nothing unreasonable in you thinking there. Heat would be another concern so I'd want to be running an oil cooler and bigger radiator and you should take a serious look at the fuel system. After that you've got a boosted 12.5:1 compression open deck engine which wasn't designed for boost and spent the same sort of money which would get you into a couple of years old Cayman S (which probably still has some sort of warranty, unlike the boosted 86).

Yeah, I admit, my numbers were low. After all the extras (you're gonna probably want some bigger rubber too, which means wheels, and how about brakes to stop it while we're at it), you're looking at 10 grand easy for a 300whp+ 86.

You could go with one of the more modest supercharger kits for about 5k though (I think they are around $3500 for a kit, with a tune, and won't need major driveline upgrades). But yeah, whenever I think about spending lots of cash on the car, my mind wonders to saving it for a bike or used Cayman/Boxster/M3 or the like.

If it was a second car and the cash was more disposable, but this is my daily (and only) driver.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; July 13th, 2014 at 04:38 PM.

I'd recommend away from BMW.

Keep big engine mods away from your only car. Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Keep big engine mods away from your only car. Words to live by.
    One of the biggest lessons I learned with my S14 is if a car is a daily driver then treat it is a daily driver. If you want a blindingly quick trackcar then actually make it a dedicated trackcar or at the most keep it nominally registered but have 0 concern for comfort. Trying to keep a seriously modified car streetable and usable for daily driving activities is a horribly expensive exercise and generally results in something which doesn't work for either.

That said, my current plan for my next car is a Cayman with a GT3 engine so I kinda suck at learning from past mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    One of the biggest lessons I learned with my S14 is if a car is a daily driver then treat it is a daily driver. If you want a blindingly quick trackcar then actually make it a dedicated trackcar or at the most keep it nominally registered but have 0 concern for comfort. Trying to keep a seriously modified car streetable and usable for daily driving activities is a horribly expensive exercise and generally results in something which doesn't work for either.

That said, my current plan for my next car is a Cayman with a GT3 engine so I kinda suck at learning from past mistakes

This is the exact reason why I have switched to the world of bikes.

Cayman with GT3 engine = FTW