Page 66 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Been watching/listening to reviews of the Model 3....I'm not convinced about the interior dash being almost entirely controlled by the center screen

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    They also quietly announced another Model 3 production delay I believe. Blaming a battery supplier.

I thought they built their own batteries and battery packs?
    They are in partnership with Panasonic with that gigafactory. Even without any sort of partnership, the battery plant could still be the source of trouble if they just cannot pump out enough batteries. Wonder what's the real issue with the battery bottleneck..., they're actually still looking to hire more people to work at the battery plant! Until the battery plant is operating normally, I guess Model 3 will just remain a low volume vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Been watching/listening to reviews of the Model 3....I'm not convinced about the interior dash being almost entirely controlled by the center screen
    Picture is worth a thousand words! Anyway, I suppose there are some controls on the steering wheel as well!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Picture is worth a thousand words! Anyway, I suppose there are some controls on the steering wheel as well!
    Yeah, but there's no gauges in front or even an HUD, everything is shown on the touchscreen.

I like minimalism and simplicity and if this was a $15,000 car that goes for extreme weight savings I could understand, but these cars are still $35K-$60K

Yes there are controls on the steering wheel thankfully, but it is possible to be TOO minimalistic!

As someone said on the Tested.com podcast, it's almost as if they designed this to be just an auto-pilot car practically.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    They are in partnership with Panasonic with that gigafactory. Even without any sort of partnership, the battery plant could still be the source of trouble if they just cannot pump out enough batteries. Wonder what's the real issue with the battery bottleneck..., they're actually still looking to hire more people to work at the battery plant! Until the battery plant is operating normally, I guess Model 3 will just remain a low volume vehicle.
    and yet even with these issues Musk keeps announcing new projects for Tesla. If he thinks any of the companies that preordered the Semi are going to put up with delays like this he is very likely to be mistaken. Now he keeps hinting at some big pick up truck as their next announcement and preorder opportunity before they run out of cash again.

If his goal is to push interest in EVs in general, though, it's working. The Chevy Bolt is selling very well.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rge/109138716/
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Weight distribution and regenerative braking is likely the culprit.
    This.

911s have large rear brakes because they can use them; there's still a lot of weight on the back tires even with weight transfer during braking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    If his goal is to push interest in EVs in general, though, it's working. The Chevy Bolt is selling very well.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...rge/109138716/
    There is no denying that the interest is there. Although as more options become available and they get more affordable it shouldn't be too surprising.

Still hoping some of the battery tech that I keep reading about comes into production. Promises if 3 times the energy in the same size battery would effectively end almost all complaints about range and recharging.

Maybe weight (400lbs for 100kWh vs 1200lbs) and range, but wouldn't charge time remain the same?
    I would think that it would make it more reasonable for quick battery swap stations (less size and weight to replace)

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Yeah, but there's no gauges in front or even an HUD, everything is shown on the touchscreen.

I like minimalism and simplicity and if this was a $15,000 car that goes for extreme weight savings I could understand, but these cars are still $35K-$60K

Yes there are controls on the steering wheel thankfully, but it is possible to be TOO minimalistic!

As someone said on the Tested.com podcast, it's almost as if they designed this to be just an auto-pilot car practically.
    I suspect Elon has learned the mistakes made by Model S(retractable handles) and Model X(gull wing doors).

For such a high volume car, he needs to keep things as simple as possible. More buttons or switches, you're just introducing more possibilities for them to go wrong.

[quote/]and yet even with these issues Musk keeps announcing new projects for Tesla. If he thinks any of the companies that preordered the Semi are going to put up with delays like this he is very likely to be mistaken. Now he keeps hinting at some big pick up truck as their next announcement and preorder opportunity before they run out of cash again. [/quote]
    These are just likely teasing side shows. Elon regularly does this to wow folks. It is now well known that Elon rarely keeps his original promises. However, as long as his late deliveries are still ahead and beats out competitors, then he's going to be fine.

So far, Model S and X saw no real competitions. Model 3 is kinda beaten by Chevy Bolt scehdule-wise, but given the same price tag, which one would you really buy? Once Model 3 is on track, I don't see any real competition for it either.

A lot more EVs are entering the market, we'll see how those other cars will turn out.