Page 47 of 85 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

Shell is a pretty big corporation. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a subsidiary doing that or planning to.

Weren't a few of the biggest energy companies making over a billion in profit per month prior to the great recession?
    Sounds like they'll survive either way, but the small counties that still have petrol as their main source of income will be in big trouble

Tesla Model 3 looks good, seems inexpensive. A 220-mile or 310-mile Tesla makes the 110-mile Nissan Leaf look a bit lame.
    If they can turn them out in the required numbers at the prices they've quoted, it feels like the future will arrive early next year.

The base 220mi range 3 for $35k looks like a big winner for an EV, an extra $9k for another 90mi range is what's scary (buys about 100k miles worth of fuel for a purely ICE sedan).

It'll be the hot car for 2017 and 2018, but once years of pent up demand is met I don't see Tesla selling 500k model 3s a year in the 2020s.

I find it is that the drivetrain, interior, sales model, ... are revolutionary yet they go with a sedan that's been losing favor for most of the last two decades. Is the 3 a platform that can easily be changed to a large hatch, CUV, small SUV?
    Last edited by balki; July 30th, 2017 at 03:56 AM.

I'm willing to bet that's what the y-series is going to be.

I'm wondering if the price of the extended range version is actually subsidizing the lower model, in order to get it that low, and their costs are actually much closer.

The options are pricey, and I'm sure most models will be sold in the high-40's, but that's still like half a Model S, so it's a huge step.

And the better it does, the quicker we see improvement in tech and price.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; July 30th, 2017 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    It'll be the hot car for 2017 and 2018, but once years of pent up demand is met I don't see Tesla selling 500k model 3s a year in the 2020s.
    If it was the tenth-best selling car in both the US and the EU, that would equate to a bit over 250K sales each side of the Pond. So that's the sort of sales position it would imply.

It's sort of maybe-reasonable - the Focus is 10th best selling in the EU, and starts at £20k. The Model 3 is £30k, but there's still a govt subsidy I believe that takes it down to maybe £25k, and you'll save on fuel. So in terms of monthly payment + monthly fuel costs it could be pretty competitive. I think 200 miles is a sort of watershed, once you reach that sort of range most people will stop worrying too much about range.

We are still talking about a company that has no experience, in building, or delivering cars in this volume. There will be hiccups along the way, but we shall see how they are handled.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    Tesla Model 3 looks good, seems inexpensive. A 220-mile or 310-mile Tesla makes the 110-mile Nissan Leaf look a bit lame.
    Yeah but a lightly used Nissan Leaf is basically a sub-$10K USD electric car.

A 500e goes for about that much too. Locally, a CPO electric Focus isn't much more (when they have them). It'll be interesting to see what the Bolt looks like.