Page 70 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

So my dad just bought a ~2 year old Model S P100D from his brother. Goddamn it's fun to floor it. But it feels so much like an Apple product, in that what it tries to do, it does really well, but it just feels like it's missing things. I don't know how to describe it. It's like "This is what you should have in a car, and nothing else. Accept it."

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    So my dad just bought a ~2 year old Model S P100D from his brother. Goddamn it's fun to floor it. But it feels so much like an Apple product, in that what it tries to do, it does really well, but it just feels like it's missing things. I don't know how to describe it. It's like "This is what you should have in a car, and nothing else. Accept it."
    If you think that's bad, I'd be interested to see your thoughts on the Model 3, because it seems the interior is WAY more spartan

Wow. Web searches suggest a few other people call them Muskmobiles. (Lucille).

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    If you think that's bad, I'd be interested to see your thoughts on the Model 3, because it seems the interior is WAY more spartan
    Been a passenger in one. Somewhat still the same. But at as much as a quarter the the price (realistically like half), it's more forgivable. Doesn't make either a bad car, but just not my cup of tea when it comes to the interior.

Interesting. Something about it that bothers you but can't really describe it except that it feels like an Apple product?

Tesla should use that in their marketing campaign. Feel different!

Anyway, I'm guessing you feel that they're over priced like Apple products?

I kinda feel the same way. In a way, I really want to financially support Tesla so that it can survive by getting a cheap Model 3 or an used Model S..., but I think when my Honda Clarity lease is up, I'm just going to try to lease another one or just buy one. After tax credits, Clarity plugin hybrid will only be a $25k car! It's way uglier than Teslas, but I really do enjoy driving it using just electrons.

Anywho, I am kinda worry about Tesla's fate. Not only with demand fading, there's a repeat of a fatal crash with semi truck of it's model 3 recently.
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05...h-tesla-crash/

I wonder if this changes Elon's mind about lidars? Same kind of fatal crash, twice? Granted, it's was a different tesla model before, but still, this could spell further trouble for them just like how it turned out for Boeing. Boeing encounter its safety trouble while it was making loads of money and with stock value sky high. Tesla is not currently in that same position...

I can't say their overpriced because there just isn't anything to compare them to really. It's not like Audi or BMW or Ford or whoever has a direct *electric* competitor at this point.

It was hard to call iPhones overpriced until they had been out for years because it took so long for everyone to catch up. Also US cellphone/contract pricing nonsense.

So exactly what felt different?

Smell of electrons vs gasoline?

Anyway, I guess I personally think it's over priced. Luckily for Apple and Starbucks, even poor people could afford to buy into their products, but Teslas are just way too expensive for the masses. Maybe Elon needs to come up with a more affordable financing plan... like a 30 yr 0% financing loan... then a $100k car will end up with a $278/month payment. Hey, I could afford that!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 17th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.

They are good and fast cars. A bit like large golf karts. Spartan interior and the original rear seats were horrendous, but they aren't too bad. You're paying for the tech, not the luxury.

You’re paying to ensure EVs have a viable future. I think Tesla has accomplished that. Will Tesla have a viable future remains to be seen...

I guess model S and X could also used to give you some sort of status, but model 3 is now ruining the brand. We now have so many Tesla’s running around in SoCal, it’s now becoming another Honda or Toyota. However, in order to truly lure all of those Honda/Toyota buyers, Musk needs to up its reliability.

Anyway, Musk should’ve partnered with a traditional car maker to mass produce their cars and possibly utilizing their dealerships in order to lure more traditional buyers.

I get the sense that majority of car buyers are still not quite onboard with EVs..., even if Musk reduces cost and increased reliability and quality...

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    What's the actual reliability statistics of Teslas vs. the big automakers in general though?

It seems the media likes to jump on any negative news about Tesla, and I feel it doesn't represent the true picture vs. regular cars.