Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...htmlstory.html

CA planning to pump $3billion to help out the EV market. Aiming to reduce compact EV prices to the level of Honda Civic... meaning rebates of around $10k!!!
    $35k - $7.5k(fed)-$10k(CA)=$17.5k final sales price of Model 3!!!

And in the event of Federal tax credits expiring or exceeding quota, CA will step in and fill the gap. Though supposedly not meant to help Tesla specifically, but sure sounds like a bill specifically designed to help out Tesla Model 3...

Sounds wonderful to a CA resident like me. However, it kinda feels like government is subsidizing folks buying an iphone or something... just doesn't feel quite right if it passes. However, I do want to see Tesla succeed too.

It's more complicated than just helping folks buy stuff. Cutting down on emissions that the state otherwise has to manage, promoting innovation, accelerating the deployment of charging infrastructure, and if we're lucky giving people who could otherwise not afford an electric car - which is cheaper to operate than a gasoline powered car - the opportunity to get into one are all decent ideas. Demonstrating that California is EV-friendly and deploying methods to get more people into EVs will hopefully encourage manufacturers to develop them. I think the upside of assisting Tesla, rather than say Kia or VW or even GM, is that at least selling more Teslas keeps the money in the California economy. That'll be useful when we secede.

Glad I moved here in time for the secession. Do we have to break off and float out into the ocean, so we're not physically connected?

No, we'll just build a wall, and get the USA to pay for it.

I'm currently signing papers for a new Honda clarity EV. After this 3year lease, model3 should be fully ready for me!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 1st, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

Will John Q Public be okay with spending $3B in tax dollars on folks who have money to buy a new car?

I'm down.

Just read the article, don't like how it blows off the arbitrage
    If it goes through I'd imagine CA will sell more EVs than the other 49 states combined (until they start similar programs)

Considering current efforts not making very much impact, the very goal of this proposed law it just to get more EVs on the road.

Anyway, if somehow this still doesn't work, worst case scenario is that tesla along with the state will go bankrupt... But if is works, tesla will probably surpass apple and state legislatures will be regarded as genius!

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Just read the article, don't like how it blows off the arbitrage
    If it goes through I'd imagine CA will sell more EVs than the other 49 states combined (until they start similar programs)
    California already does for a few reasons. Some of these reasons are tied together.
    *Most populated state.
    *Geographically, one of the larger states.
    *Poor public transportation infrastructure.
    *Lots of tourism/ travel.
    *Forward thinking governance.
    *A politically progressive population willing to back such measures.
    *Etc

Such a large rebate could inspire more people to take a look at other electric vehicle offers from VW, Fiat, BMW, etc, potentially spurring more sales of EVs and the building of charge points.

Question to all. Are the Tesla Superchargers able to charge other electric vehicles? Because if I was Tesla i'd build that capability in, but not advertise it. Id want people to know their Teslas can be charged at any SC and that there's a network of them everywhere. That'd be a selling point over something like an eGolf.