Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

I'm happy it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    billi, that $3B will help move 190,000 Model 3s and 10,000 Bolts over a few years.
    While nothing to scoff at that's 200,000 cars that would mostly have been BEVs or some sort of a Low-Emission Vehicle, does very little to discourage the SUV crowd compared to the +$4/gallon gas prices around the Great Recession
    Maybe vehicles below certain MPGs should have a higher gas guzzler tax in CA. The rich who really want it can still have them... and for the regular folks, they'll just have to settle with smaller hybrid SUVs or EV SUVs or something... Commercially used truck maybe be exempted perhaps to not add more burden to construction folks...

I dunno. Not sure what I would do even if I have the power to do it... I just know we shouldn't tax everyone too much. Gas is not cigarettes or alcohol, people really need gas for their livelihood! I'm also not that for giving away tax money to rich folks buying fancy EVs.

I think it'd probably be more worthwhile for CA to just invest $3billion in Musk's companies!

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    New Nissan Leaf. 150 miles a charge and its weird single pedal go and stop system that I dislike the idea of. Comes standard with the self driving gizmos as well including self parking.
    Single foot driving is AWESOME in the Bolt. Hopefully Nissan's system works as well.

After using it for a while, I can honestly say that single foot driving is sufficiently better than a manual in traffic that I'd consider owning one just on that merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I'm also not that for giving away tax money to rich folks buying fancy EVs.
    I'm assuming these new credits would work like the old ones, where the amount of your credit is inversely proportional to your income... the more you make the smaller the credit.

Didn't know the old credits were based on income.
    Like that the new one is proposed to be an instant rebate
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Maybe vehicles below certain MPGs should have a higher gas guzzler tax in CA...
    Yes, this pretty much. Though taxing +3.8L sports cars won't do much while 'light trucks' get by

Current federal tax credit works kinda in reverse... if you don't owe more than $7500 in taxes, you won't get full credit. So this favor the rich rather than the poor. CA only relatively recently decided to keep a pot of money reserved for lower income folks and increase rebate amount for the poor..., but this is still kinda funky to allow the 'poor' to be able to afford a nearly $50k BMW i3, right? Genuinely poor folks most likely won't make that kind of financial decisions...

Anyway, these new rebates should not be applicable to premium EVs. Model S and X definitely should no longer qualify. If a car cannot be around $20k after rebate, then you're basically subsidizing the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Single foot driving is AWESOME in the Bolt. Hopefully Nissan's system works as well.

After using it for a while, I can honestly say that single foot driving is sufficiently better than a manual in traffic that I'd consider owning one just on that merit.
    How do you emergency brake?

Yep.

Can't speak for the Leaf, but in the Bolt suddenly removing your foot from the throttle (we'll need a new word...) will result in a very rapid slowdown. Not full lockup, but definitely in a rapid but controlled fashion. I've been driving it with two feet - one foot covering the brake pedal just in case, the other doing everything else. If these cars had fully autonomous emergency braking (like Mercedes, for example) I'd be happy to have them do away with the brake pedal altogether. Admittedly my sample size is small, but in a couple hundred miles of driving the Bolt I have never touched the brake pedal.

Drove an electric truck that was set to full regen, so foot off throttle and it stopped. Actually had a 9 year old who could barely reach the pedals have a go! She couldn't push the brake much but didn't need to use it.
    It is a feature of electric vehicles.