Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

Hmm..., the new Honda Clarity EV apparently doesn't have that. It drives just like a regular car. When it coasts, it regens, but it won't stop automatically unless brake is depressed. There are steering wheel paddles that you can increase the regen/resistance more or less. Depressing the brake pedal further increases regen capability, but Honda made it a requirement to stop the car with the pedal. I guess Honda just doesn't wish to confuse me.

Anyway, Honda Clarity EV doesn't have the highest EPA mpge ratings, but I was able to consistently do about 5 miles/kWh with my 70 mile round trip commutes. Combination of 40% city and 60% hwy driving in econ mode with AC and less than 65mph on the hwy. Considering we have about 33kWh in a gallon of gas... that means my car was able to do 165mpg!!! Amazing!

But of course, I'm not sure how I can verify this... with ICE cars, you know how many gallons you pumped in and how far you've gone, but when I just plug it into the wall, not sure how much energy I really pumped in...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 7th, 2017 at 09:20 AM.

I'd be shocked if the Clarity doesn't have a kw used & kw needed display.

Still learning the car, but haven't even seen the kw used display yet. What's the purpose for kw needed? To get to your destination once you entered into your navigation? Or energy needed to fill up batteries? On the Clarity, it's just a bunch of bars like fuel gauges without anything specific. There is also this app that supposedly one can use to schedule charges..., maybe that'll tell me. I'll have to register myself and the car first...

So far, on the dash, the obvious readings are just instant and average miles/kWh #s and I've been trying to maximize those during my commutes. There's also an estimated range #. It most likely estimates range based on previous driving style. When I took delivery of the vehicle with a full charge, it only estimated a range of 60 miles! I was like WTF?!?!? (Anyway, probably due to all the accelerations done during test drives...) Now that the car knows me more after a few days... it's been regularly estimating ranges of little over 100 miles when I fully charged the 25.5kWh battery.

Maybe Honda just like to dumb things down so that they won't confuse people?

Honda most certainly took a different approach compared to other makers.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    ...Raising gas prices has huge spiraling consequences...
    Definitely, but (Tesla aside) it's the only thing that has successfully pushed for efficient cars on a large scale (mid-70's to early-80's and Great Recession)
    Another energy crisis would do more harm then good, but if global warming and air quality are top priorities then I'd like to see an additional 25¢/gal tax (more for the other states under $3/gal)

I too would like to switch over to all this free and clean electricity.

Well, electricity is just cheaper and cleaner... not quite free. Also, until our utility companies all switched to all renewables, we're still polluting somewhat.

Also, what will we do with all the junk gigabatteries from old Teslas? I know Elon will convert some to home use, but what about decades afterwards? Hopefully we'll figure out a way to really recycle them...

Stop being such a worrywart and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What's the purpose for kw needed?
    For estimating the cost & time involved with a recharge. The 500e & Bolt show it on the dash and in the app. I've never seen the Leaf app, but it shows it on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I too would like to switch over to all this cheaper and cleaner electricity.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Yep.

Can't speak for the Leaf, but in the Bolt suddenly removing your foot from the throttle (we'll need a new word...) will result in a very rapid slowdown. Not full lockup, but definitely in a rapid but controlled fashion. I've been driving it with two feet - one foot covering the brake pedal just in case, the other doing everything else. If these cars had fully autonomous emergency braking (like Mercedes, for example) I'd be happy to have them do away with the brake pedal altogether. Admittedly my sample size is small, but in a couple hundred miles of driving the Bolt I have never touched the brake pedal.
    Ahem

Accelerator pedal, which is what the industry actually calls it.