Page 72 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

I can't say how much I hate about the interior of this. A lot of it is technology for technology's sake and doesn't actually make things easier (or safe!) to use. Why does everything have to be electronic? Yes, there are some cool things, but many things are just leaving me asking if they actually consulted any normal people about it. Like you can't even adjust where the air vents point, you just turn speed up or down. You also can't open the glove box without going through the touch screen???

Some mechanical controls are nice.
    I guess its moving towards the front passenger not being a driver, but until that is done it is good to have easy, tactile controls for some major things.

This is a bit of a long video and it's about EV's overall, but think it makes good points

Also, should we make this a Tesla and EV's thread in the title? (I don't think the banned sales are still relevant?)

I initially wanted a Tesla so much... really wanted to get a model 3 after my Honda Clarity's lease ends during 2020...

Then the pandemic hits. No need to commute anywhere since WFH is what we do now... Glad the pandemic didn't hit earlier... or else I'll be stuck with that Clarity lease payment for no reason!

Anyway, now that I'm into RVing, I need tow capacity. EVs are great for towing because of their available torque, but towing will severely limit their range. Not to mention it'll take a long time to recharge! So I don't think any of the EV trucks will work for me.

So far I'm eyeing the new Jeep GC 4xe plugin hybrid. Its EV mode can go up to like 25miles and it has more towing capacity than my current Kia Sorento. However, it's not like Jeep is known for it's reliability... and especially with such a complex drive system, I'll monitor its reliability ratings for couple of years before I make a decision I guess.

Point is, I still do like EVs, but banning ICE cars is just crazy. Can we generate enough green power for all homes and cars? Can the grid handle all that extra capacity? Heat wave along is enough to push us near the brink of failure... imagine if we all drive EVs!!! Plus, not all applications are the same. How many EV tow trucks do you see?

I wonder how Tesla's cybertruck and semis will perform under towing. If Elon cannot do better, I hope governments will reverse their ICE bans.

I personally think plugin hybrid is probably the best way to go for now. However, due to its complexity, most manufacturers seems to be dropping that. GM killed the Volt and Honda killed the Clarity plugin hybrid... I think these manufacturers were just driven by those government mandates rather than what's practical.

I think if battery tech was about improved overall by 3x (meaning 3x lower weight, 3x more energy storage and 3x faster charging) it would be a MUCH better situation. I don't think these mandates should be put into place yet until that happens.

Bans or mandates shouldn’t be necessary regardless of battery performance.

Did we need to ban horse carriages in order to usher in the era of automobiles?

If governments really believe fossil fuel is that evil, then stop importing it from the Middle East! Can you really do that? If you can’t stop cold Turkey, then what’s a reasonable weaning off schedule look like? Encourage electrifying with more tax incentives, sure! Raise mpg requirements, sure! But to completely kill ICE Vehicles just seems wrong, or unrealistic, to me.

I agree they shouldn't ALL be EV's...especially when it comes to things that need to tow stuff or carry heavy loads...feels like ICE engines are much better suited to those tasks...so far.

Yeah, Tesla support vehicles are bunch of Ford Transit Vans!

There are no known electric tow trucks.

Tesla Semis also have not proven themselves yet. Even if Tesla Semis are fully capable of replacing ICE semis, will we really be able to replace them all in a decade or so? If the tech is so great and affordable, it will happen naturally. If not, then we're simply introducing additional problems on top of climate change. If we are experiencing supply chain issues, we probably ain't see nothing yet.

Plus, Biden Admin doesn't even know about the existence of Tesla. Their expectation is GM and Ford will take over the EV market and lead the world. There's really way too much politics than real science & engineering.

Why would you say they don't know about Tesla? They literally just changed the laws to heavily favor them.......