Page 3 of 177 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

There you go again, tsg, saying things that are very smart in a wonderful way. I feel like Morgan Freeman needs to say that on a YouTube video so it will shared everywhere.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Why do you think my broad characterization would apply to EVERYONE.
    By definition.

Did I also make that claim that one absolutely must be fucking dirt poor in order to have faith
    In fact, you claimed the opposite, and I quote "...this forgetting about God trend as we achieve better standard of living is even recorded in the bible. People are naturally like that. When we are doing well, we don't need God anymore." (Emphasis mine).

You have a twisty way of putting forward your arguments. It becomes difficult to follow your logic.

Greek mythology is gone. Lots of European mythologies are gone.
    Not.by.a.long.shot.

If you accept that a mythology is more than just the pantheon of its gods, but it also encompasses other imageries and interactions.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; March 14th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
    acket.

But how relevant is it?
    I think that's an individual choice, either as an acceptance of otherness or as a reflection of oneself in the global world, which I think are both different sides to the same coin.

We're social animals. We are fucked up at times. You cannot acknowledge that?
    I believe hominidae are something more than just animals.
    I believe in equal rights from birth throughout our lives.
    You seem to imply that there's an underlying biological or social presumption of difference. I find that notion appalling. I used to find it offensive, but I became a dad, ever since then, I want for my son to have no privilege or disadvantage compared to any child born before or after him.
    I believe in autonomy of the will, save for incapacitating disease, thus any person can err, and has every entitletement to error. I believe in personal responsibility, too.
    I believe that actions are to be accounted for.
    I believe in the power of the community to grant authority to judge upon material disputes.
    I believe in the power of the mind to take care of everything else that is neither a creation, an action nor public.

Is this thread about me?
    No. You are not that important.

Why don't you express your own view
    Just did.

However, do you disagree with that the Original is superior than the copies? Or do you insist that Jesus your supposed Lord and Savior still have his own issues and just as imperfect as us?
    I don't consider myself a copy of anything else.
    I've been taught that by accepting his body and blood I become one with my God, and that I should respect my worldly presence for He dwells within. I believe in that stuff dude, like, I really do.
    I don't consider myself perfect.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; March 14th, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
    acket.

As for Osama, that dude was a psychopath. He was like any other mass murderer, diseased. But his life and career gave him access to a lot of resources. I think he was handled for political/economical gains by his associates and later as some sort of trophy by his enemies.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    When we are doing well, we don't need God anymore." (Emphasis mine).

We do have a lot of people who say "I'm Christian" as they were brought up that way and used to giving it as an answer to a question on religion.
    That's why these types of surveys don't ask "what religion".

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importa...ion_by_country

As for close minded, sure we have some conservative people.
    Prostitution is legal, as is abortion.
    We don't have gay marriage but gay rights and tolerance is good (but far from great)
    Women have had the vote for over 100 years

We have some issues that are bad, but generally compare well to most western societies. Behind Scandinavia, but I'd say well ahead of the US.

Billi needs to watch Zeitgeist.

Junior Potato
    Yeah we Aussies are kinda Christian by default. It must just be the automatic response when presented with that question.

Interestingly, when presented with the possibility of a horde of a million Muslims invading our shores and seeking to slaughter us and change our values, all of us would side with the "Christians" in the fight. More accurately, we'd be the "not-Muslims" but we would just automatically slip into that Christian category. It's so familiar to us. Whatever version we hold dear is anyway.

I have no idea whether Christianity influenced our Antipodean society more than Commonwealth rule did (it's probably more likely that we could be traced right back to whatever influenced the Romans) but it's fascinating to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    "Think God out of Existence"
    The only way you can do that is to be clever enough to be God yourself. It's a total Catch-22.

Anyway, let's go over one thing at a time. If you think my posts are confusing and make no sense, then perhaps we shouldn't try to cover too many points at once. There's one thing I'd like to understand better with your faith...

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    I don't consider myself a copy of anything else.
    I've been taught that by accepting his body and blood I become one with my God, and that I should respect my worldly presence for He dwells within. I believe in that stuff dude, like, I really do.
    I don't consider myself perfect.
    We're supposedly made in God's image... being copies of God only means that we're not quite the original. We're not God and we'll never be. That's what I meant by 'copy'. Of course you and I are not identical copies... each copy uses different paper and depending on toner level, we may show different shades... We're 'like' God, but you and I are also 'unique' at the same time. so I hope I've cleared this up a bit... and I agree with what you said above, however, one thing that bugged me is that you've said in another thread that you believe Jesus has 'issues'. Just wondering what kind of issues are you talking about?