Page 135 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1766

Thread: Religion

Administrator
    Oh man, that reminds me of the first time I saw a tarantula hawk. Looked freaky enough, but I had no idea what it was and looked it up when I got home. That thing is straight out of a nightmarish hellscape - it almost seems like it enjoys torturing tarantulas.

Good day, let's just say there's no God for now. Let's even get rid of the concept of good and evil.

For life to spring up on a planet where rest of the planetary system remains dead, how would you describe that? Let's just call that 'whoa'!

Now after a while, some sort of cancerous organism sprang up into existence and cause that planets ecosystem to completely collapse back to deadness... let's just call that 'aw man'!

I suppose we don't always have to include life into 'whoa' events. Birth of a star or galaxy or universe can be 'whoa' events too. Likewise their subsequent ends can be 'aw man'...

So on that premise, do you believe 'whoas' will always triumph over 'aw mans' or the reverse... or be exactly 50/50?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh man, that reminds me of the first time I saw a tarantula hawk. Looked freaky enough, but I had no idea what it was and looked it up when I got home. That thing is straight out of a nightmarish hellscape - it almost seems like it enjoys torturing tarantulas.
    Back when I was young and fit and I went for long rides out in the bunnies, I remember the first few times I saw tarantulas out in the wild* I could not believe how fast they were and how far they could leap.

*I read somewhere that my state, Oaxaca, is home to many of the 66 tarantula species of Mexico.
    acket.

Three of the most likely ends to the universe are heat death, a big crunch or a big rip, so under each of those scenarios (and ignoring possible universes outside of our own) I'd say we're ultimately heading to "aww man", but that's not really evil now is it? I think you're going to have to get to the point of what you're saying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    So even without this omnibenevolent overlord watching over us, you believe good can always triumph over evil? Or do you believe in 50/50... or perhaps you believe evil will always triumph over good in the end?

What basis do you have for your belief?
    Yes. Basis for that belief is that objectively the world is in the best place its ever been (reduction in wars, reduction in poverty etc) and at the same time we’ve had a measurable reduction in people involved in organised religion. Basically as ‘God’ has played a smaller part in the worlds affairs Good has been more successful triumphing over evil.

And to be clear, I have no issue with religion at a micro level, I’ll fight very strongly for your right to believe in things I don’t believe in and I’m not in the slightest bit offended by the stuff you say here. But on a macro level the less that ‘God’ is involved the better things seem to go.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Three of the most likely ends to the universe are heat death, a big crunch or a big rip, so under each of those scenarios (and ignoring possible universes outside of our own) I'd say we're ultimately heading to "aww man", but that's not really evil now is it? I think you're going to have to get to the point of what you're saying ...
    My point is that at worst, it's 50/50, but 'whoas' will always have an advantage because 'aw mans' can only follow 'whoas'.

Also, universe and everything within is headed toward certain destruction, but it's difficult to be certain where new births might take place... and whoa events almost always appears 'miraculous'.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    Yes. Basis for that belief is that objectively the world is in the best place its ever been (reduction in wars, reduction in poverty etc) and at the same time we’ve had a measurable reduction in people involved in organised religion. Basically as ‘God’ has played a smaller part in the worlds affairs Good has been more successful triumphing over evil.

And to be clear, I have no issue with religion at a micro level, I’ll fight very strongly for your right to believe in things I don’t believe in and I’m not in the slightest bit offended by the stuff you say here. But on a macro level the less that ‘God’ is involved the better things seem to go.
    Naturally I believe in the contrary. If Christ never came 2000 years ago, I firmly believe the western world would be at the similar level as the rest of the world.

Europe is definitely more secular now. Is it really better than before? Likewise America... why would there be a need to make it great again?

Anyway, I do agree that given that we have varying beliefs and can't definitively prove our beliefs, we do need to learn to agree to disagree lovingly. Christian crusades were definitely evil. Surely God doesn't need us to defend Him like that.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 7th, 2018 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    My point is that at worst, it's 50/50, but 'whoas' will always have an advantage because 'aw mans' can only follow 'whoas'.

Also, universe and everything within is headed toward certain destruction, but it's difficult to be certain where new births might take place... and whoa events almost always appears 'miraculous'.
    I'm still not sure what point about religion you're making sorry

My point was simply to show you how I believe good can always triumph over evil. Further, how evil is of this world, but good seems to be out of this world.

Of course I'm not trying to prove any case for organize religion, but just saying it seems like something outside of this world created this world. Of course just because I don't understand something like how the universe began or how life began, that doesn't really prove God, I could very well be wrong, but I could be right too. We all have the free will to choose whatever we want to believe.

Even if you just can't believe in God, at least you can believe good can always triumph over evil, right? Or you still cannot answer this vague question?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 8th, 2018 at 05:57 AM.

Righto, I've been trying to reconcile what you've been saying with god or religion which is why I didn't understand your point.

I don't think that good can always triumph over evil though. Not without a time machine at least!