Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Religion

thread.

1 In 5 Americans Say Religion Is 'Not That Important' To Them

Americans are losing faith. At least, that's the conclusion of a new poll on religion.

Jointly conducted by NBC and The Wall Street Journal, the poll found that 21 percent of Americans feel religion is "not that important" in their lives.

This, NBC News writes, is the "highest percentage" recorded since the survey was first conducted in 1997.

Dooky: Man, look. Do I believe in God? Yeah, I guess I do. How else can you have the sun, moon and stars and shit like that?

Doughboy: Sun, moon, stars, quasars. Motherfucker sound like Elroy Jetson. There ain't no God. If there was a God, why He be letting motherfuckers get smoked every night?

I would expect that number to just keep growing, too. As more and more people grow up without it, and find alternate means to reach out in the community and other support groups and the like to help with their life questions, there won't be major reasons for people to make religion important to them.

If more religious groups, on a micro and macro level, become more open to accepting different demographics and lifestyles, they'll have a chance.

Canadian survey had 42% of people saying religion was important to them.

Speaking from my dealings with Christians and Christianity in a VERY GENERALIZED form and nothing more.

The interesting part for me is that religion is important to them, but when someone says they aren't religious but are spiritual, the religious person tends to go all 20 questions on them how they "don't believe in God."

Wanna Fight?
    "The highest percentage of Christians was found in the North East of England, where 1.8 million worshippers represented 68% of residents."

England's Alabama, ladies and gentlemen.

Aussies would be close to the other way, with religious being the minority.

http://teaminfocus.com.au/religion-i...ia-statistics/
    -About 13 million or 64% of Australians called themselves “Christian.” However, only about 7.5% attend any church services weekly (NCLS Research 2004).
    -The main denominations continue to decline slowly, while 19% of Australians claimed “no religion.” Another two million did not state or adequately describe their religion.
    Yeah, presumably the "religion is important" number is closer to the number for ones that attend weekly services.

It was my understanding that Australia is pretty closed-minded about certain cultural things despite this, but it came from a Sex Party Member so maybe it's all relative. I haven't looked that much into it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I've always taken these sorts of surveys with a big fat grain of salt.

I've lived both in Northern, relatively rural Ontario, as well as the heart of "modern" Canada in Southwestern Ontario. I can count the number of people I know to be religious on one hand. I have a very, very hard time believing they're even a 42% portion of our population.

The vast majority are agnostic and don't give a shit one way or another, and the rest are atheists like me. Religion plays an incredibly, incredibly small role in Canadians' day to day lives. You rarely see it in the media. You rarely see advertisements or signage for it. It's never, ever mentioned in the workplace for good reason.

Many of our politicians label themselves with a religion, but that's only because while atheists and agnostics will gladly vote for Christians, religious voters will not vote for atheists. I suspect that's true of a lot of other public figures too. So those numbers are also questionable.

And even then, whenever the issue is brought up by the media, our politicians make it VERY clear that "yes, I'm a Christian/Catholic/Whatever, but that's unimportant to my job." Separation of Church and State is virtually absolute here.

The main reason these statistics are absurd, though, is because you cannot use them to gauge a person's "level" of piety. My grandmother identifies herself as a Catholic, because that's what her family indoctrinated her into when she was young. She doesn't give two shits about religion, she doesn't go to church, she observes no rules or regulations, nor does she read the Bible. She might occasionally pray, I suppose. The vast majority of so-called "Christians" have never read more than a few pages of the Bible and don't adhere at all to 90% of the bullshit rules laid out in the thing. The only difference between those Christians and "spiritual" people is that they identify Jesus as being the deity in question.

On the other hand, the statistics of people who have quit bullshit religion, or already identify themselves as atheist or agnostic, generally identify themselves as such clearly and concisely. So those numbers are probably accurate.

EDIT: having said all that, I don't know many Muslims, and there's LOTS of them here.
    Last edited by tigeraid; March 14th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.

Tiger - I agree, that's why I think the question "is religion important to you" and asking if you go to church weekly is a more telling stat (when the responses are somewhat private or anonymous).